[games_access] GDC news

d. michelle hinn hinn at uiuc.edu
Tue Aug 15 11:58:07 EDT 2006

A quick update -- we won't hear about the roundtables for a while so
maybe we'll get one or both of those. Jason pointed out yesterday
that maybe having the short-sput roundtables will impact people more
after seeing accessibility idol -- the problem with the tutorials is
that they take place BEFORE the main attractions start with GDC. So
while it's not what we'd wanted, finger's crossed that they will at
least give us some roundtable time.

The good news is that we have a TWO hour time slot for accessibility
idol versus a 1 hour slot. That means that there can be a lot more
"information sharing" (ie, teaching) that occurs during the session
and we can focus our energies on making sure that Idol gets the
attention it needs to really be a jam packed session.

We do have a lot to discuss about this -- we need it to have some
irreverent humor and not be a "everyone's a winner" for participating
in the challenge session because that leaves people with the "great!
now we've done something!" feeling when really all they've done is
attend a session. So we need to figure out how to get a "so WHY WHY
WHY is this not in [game title x]" kind of over-the-top attitude. So
I'll be setting up a SIG meeting soon for us to start discussing this
in more detail and discussing which of us can pull off the best
"catty humor," "probably under the influence of some kind of mind
altering substance, etc parts YET still be able to get design
critique across. Because this is a SHOW, after all, and the best way
to reach the "must attend" status of a "Will Wright talks about
cattle futures" or a "Game Design Challenge: Mr. Rogers shoots up a
bunch of Aliens" session is to bring some outragiousness to the
session! So we need the perfect blend of people with over-the-top
personality and ability to get important accessibility info out.

BTW -- I decided a few weeks ago that I'm not going to be a dull Ryan
Seacrest but instead be a Tyra Banks meets Janice Dickenson loudmouth
style host. :D

Michelle