[games_access] RE: games_access Digest, Vol 25, Issue 5 Questions about Playdocam

Lynn Marentette lynnvm at carolina.rr.com
Wed Aug 9 19:05:53 EDT 2006

Hi everyone,

I've been off of this list for a bit since I moved, went on vacation, and
now have a new e-mail address. I hope everyone is doing well.

I am not sure if you've discussed PlaydoCam-  this is the information from
the website:

"Become the star of the game! PlaydoCAMT transforms your ordinary web camera
into a motion-tracking gaming device and places you at the centre of a
unique online gaming experience. -Literally".    <http://www.playdocam.com/>
http://www.playdocam.com/

I have a webcam, so I went to the website and played some of the on-line
demos.  I could play the games by moving my head a bit, and by adjusting the
distance between my head and the camera, I had better accuracy.   The Snow
Sweeper doesn't take much movement to play.  The basketball game is a little
more involved.

It is like the Sony Eye Toy, but it is in Flash, embedded in the browser.
I haven't tried PlaydoCam with any students yet- my school district might
have the website blocked from access, since it is a "game" website.  If I
can access the game and use it with a student or two, I'll let you know.
Many of the students at my school have multiple disabilities and very little
access to games they can play.

Lynn

(the techpsych blog is primarily for people who work in schools and are
interested in technology integration. The multimedia blog is where I post
annotated links and resources for a broader audience-  I'm a school
psychologist who'd like to see more interactive "learning" games used in the
schools.)

 <http://techpsych.blogspot.com/> http://techpsych.blogspot.com
 <http://interactivemultimediatechnology.com/>
http://interactivemultimediatechnology.com