[games_access] SIG Meetings Starting Soon

Roome, Thomas C thomas.roome at student.utdallas.edu
Thu Aug 31 17:32:25 EDT 2006

I might have a better way for us to communication with each other.  This  semester I am taking a class looking at new forms digital media and we are using a program called Second Life.

What Is Second Life?  This from the wed site.

"Second Life is a 3-D virtual world entirely built and owned by its residents. Since opening to the public in 2003, it has grown explosively and today is inhabited by 266,151 people from around the globe.

*	From the moment you enter  the World you'll discover a vast digital continent, teeming with people, entertainment, experiences and opportunity. Once you've explored a bit, perhaps you'll find a perfect parcel of land to build your house or business.

*	You'll also be surrounded by the Creations of your fellow residents. Because residents retain the rights to their digital creations, they can buy, sell and trade with other residents.

*	The Marketplace currently supports millions of US dollars in monthly transactions. This commerce is handled with the in-world currency, the Linden dollar, which can be converted to US dollars at several thriving online currency exchanges."

If everyone would join, then form a group and interact with each other and send instance messages to one another.  Since joining SL last week I have met some very nice people that have been a lot of help leaning this program, but you cannot buy land or build something like a house or  own a island on the basic membership level.  If everyone did join at the Premium Level which is only $10 monthly, then the group could buy some land and establish our headquarters and educated people about accessible game design!  For me SL have let me do some things that I cannot do in the real world like dance in a club.

However, I don't know how accessible the program would be for people who are blind because of the 3d graphics use for the program!

Go to http://secondlife.com/ for more information.  My name on SL is Tom06 Castro.  If anyone does sign up place give them my SL name!  This was only a suggestion.

Thank You,
Tom Roome
ATEC Teacher Assistant