[games_access] my research

Barrie Ellis barrie.ellis at oneswitch.org.uk
Tue Dec 5 09:00:03 EST 2006

Hi Eelke,

So much to take in - and so little time to do it justice...

Web-site is looking great:
http://www.eelke.com/research/accessibility.html - really good content.
There's a few broken images that need fixing, and I'd prefer not to have two
scroll bars for content, as on my lap-top viewing is a bit of a pain in the
arse. Otherwise - great!

Assist mode examples - Maybe Destruction Derby (1995 PSone) would be an even
better example than Colin McCrae, with it's steering self-correcting assist
aid on Novice. This helps you to keep facing in the right direction to stay
in the race.

Slow examples - Maybe mention The Pyramid or Archaist as free-ware examples.

Maybe worth adding a Starting and quitting game pattern to take into account
people being trapped by games? Especialy head-tracker users.

This stuff is all really good and deserves to be developed futher. The
proposal idea sounds like a definite way forward, as does the book and so
on. Time is a factor for me at present, but I'd definitely support this as
best I could...

The one-switch FPS idea sounds very feasible, good luck with it! Making it
fun will be the trick. I'd recommend having a look at Shenmue I and II at
the QTE (Quick Time Event) sections, and even the one-switch darts game
which is great. Might be of some use.

Things are definitely looking up at present. We need to pull it all together
some how...

Barrie
www.OneSwitch.org.uk