[games_access] This time...not about games...but about another leisure activity...

hinn at uiuc.edu hinn at uiuc.edu
Sun Jan 15 20:29:27 EST 2006

Ok, so this is not about game accessibility but it is about
another leisure industry that's gone through the roof for
women, including teens, women in their 20s, 30s, and on. One
of the biggest knitting companies around annouced this today:

Starting today, all Lion Brand (lionbrand.com) patterns are
offered in three versions. In addition to our standard version
that includes images and text, each pattern is now available
in two versions specially designed for members of the Lion
Brand community who are visually impaired. Every pattern
includes two new links at the top:

    * The first link formats the pattern to be read in
large-format type or by text-to-speech browsers;
    * The second link formats the pattern so it can be read by
devices that produce Braille.

We've also added color descriptions to all our yarns and added
special features to patterns and the pattern directories that
are not visible to sighted readers but that make it easier to
understand the patterns when they are read by text-to-speech
browsers.

--- ok, yeah, it's from another leisure industry but I saw it
and thought "hey -- look at this company making some headways
towards making their craft accessible!" And, hey, aren't a lot
of games about patterns???

Just some food (yarn?) for thought.