[games_access] GDC 2007 -- Dream Team Panel. Documentary compression question?

d. michelle hinn hinn at uiuc.edu
Tue Jul 4 13:56:36 EDT 2006

Well, here's what I'm planning on submitting to GDC:

* Game Design Challenge to challenge the "big names" in the industry
to think through what they would create rather than think about how
to make current games accessible. Hopefully this would attract people
to the idea that we've been pushing -- that there are some amazingly
creative things that can come out if you let your mind go there and,
wow, here are these famous people giving it a go at least
conceptually. AND it's a design challenge with some very practical
implications -- hey, maybe the "big names" will take the challenge
ideas back with them and implement them into their games. The main
thing with this is that big names get people into the room so that's
where I'm coming from with this. Our time will come when some of us
become "big names" but for now we need some established "rock stars"
of the industry for this kind of thing.

* One Day Tutorial -- this is like what we had last year only this
year we'll hopefully highlight some great games that come from the
RetroRemakes and the DonationCoder comps (The DonationCoder comp
starts July 15th -- too many personal things going on this summer
delayed us). This would be like what you are talking about, Robert --
where we'd have more working examples. Hopefully if we pull of the
Game Design Challenge proposal, more people will attend the one day
session to see what's up, why are these big names doing a challenge
on it?

* Roundtable on "top ways to increase game accessibility'" (like last year)

* Roundtable on the BUSINESS of game accessibility -- this is a new
one where we'd introduce stats, the untapped market, the idea that
accessibility IS the next gen of gameplay, how things like one button
games for cell phones ARE what we mean by switch gaming so why not
cross-market?

* Meet and Greet -- This is the informal IGDA session at the booth
(maybe we won't get 9am the day after the big party night this
year???) :)

* Arcade -- now this is a non-traditional format so this first time
suggesting it might not work out. But I'd love for us to have a
session that was JUST the Accessibility Arcade. But see the IGDA
booth possibility  in the next paragraph.

Then there is a possible new session if we (IGDA) can figure out the
logistics where the SIGs *might* get a shift or two at the IGDA booth
to showcase what they are doing. So if it gets figured out we would
have some time to display games, papers, etc outside of a session.
This is also another chance to show off the games we show during the
one day tutorial.

So I hope that explains the crazy ideas in my head a bit better!

Michelle