[games_access] Guidelines (was: Teaching Game Accessibility)

AudioGames.net richard at audiogames.net
Tue Jun 6 04:42:26 EDT 2006

Hi Thomas,

Yes, I have teached game accessibility to MA Game Design Students together
with Sander (Huiberts - also from Accessibility/AudioGames.net) at the
School of the Arts Utrecht (Netherlands) in the past. This year we have had
two projects concerning game accessibility: one in which game design
students had to develop an audio game (which should be accessible for the
blind) and another in which several students industrial design developed
alternative controllers for an audio game that Sander and I developed. The
purpose of the alternative controller was to evoke/stimulate physical (body)
movement of blind gamers. Although both courses did not focus on 'making
mainstream games more accessible', these courses gave us the opportunity to
introduce and cover a great deal of this subject. In the case of the audio
game designs, we did get the chance to teach about designing (games) for the
blind and using sound to improve game accessibility.

I prefer to avoid the guidelines copied from the IGDA White Paper by MediaLT
because of several reasons.  I for one think it is a shame that IGDA or any
other party like our foundation, One Switch.co.uk, AudioGames.net or
Games[CC] were never approached to help develop these "guidelines". But more
importantly, I think these "guidelines" cannot be *practically* applied to
game design. For instance, it does a horrible job (or actually no job at
all) at describing how to improve the accessibility of mainstream video
games for the blind. Guidelines 5.3 might be the only one to come close
("Explanations of pictures and actions that can be switched off/on") but
realistically, how does this make a video game playable? "There's a maze and
32 dots and three ghosts and one is coming right at you and the other is
coming around the corner, oh yeah you are this yellow piechart-figure- oh no
you're dead!" ON TOP OF the original game? And what does guidelines 5.6
actually *mean*? "Auditory feedback and rewards" should be explicit?
Literally, does this mean "auditory feedback and rewards" or "auditory
feedback and auditory rewards"? What is an auditory reward? Is that a
result, in sound, of winning? Where does it say this? Even so, why is it
important to distinguish "auditory feedback" and "auditory feedback of
rewards"? And wait, and it says that it is a Priority 1 Guideline "For ALL"
disabilities. Including gamers who cannot hear? Sjees...

(for everyone still questioning 400+ pages of WCAG 2.0 - that's why...)

In my opinion these 'guidelines' were written by someone very influenced by
W3C (literally "guidelines" and "priorities") but who never attempted to
create or even play an accessible game for the blind (my opinion only, am
very open to other opinions!). Interestingly, at the same time as we are
doing Develop Brighton (this years biggest game conference in Europe), Klaus
Miesenberger (University of Linz) will be presenting (a newer?) version of
these guidelines for game accessibility at the ICCHP (one of the biggest
conferences on ICT for people with disabilities: see:
http://www.icchp.org/content/view/79/113/#track3 > Thursday > Track 3 >
Session F).

Ok, I might receive that Oscar for over-acting but I hope you get my point.
Actually, this list has been dead quiet on the MediaLT/Linz guidelines so
far and I am wondering of what you think... *anyone*?

Greets,

Richard