Top 10 accessibility features in mainstream games (was: [games_access] GDC '06 report of Day 1)

Reid Kimball rkimball at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 11:37:06 EST 2006

I'm so glad someone took the initiative to start up this list! It
should be a great one.

Here's my write up for captioning. Let me know if it needs to be shortened.

Subtitles and captioning: Closed captioning provides text descriptions
in game for both audible dialog and sound effects. In addition to
hearing impaired or deaf gamers, many hearing players use subtitles
and players not familiar with the games' native language find them
helpful. Examples of games that have used CC are Zork: Grand
Inquisitor, Halflife 2 and Doom3[CC] (a modification for Doom3).

-Reid