[games_access] Reactive Art - games?

Barrie Ellis barrie.ellis at oneswitch.org.uk
Tue May 16 15:27:09 EDT 2006

The Reactive Colours work reminded me of Atari's ground breaking "I, Robot"
from 1983.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I,_Robot_(arcade_game)#The_.22Ungame.22_Mode:_Doodle_City

I, Robot had a relaxing "Doodle City" alternative area, where you could
trip-out experimenting with the games graphics. I mentioned this to Eric
Walker as a possible addition to "Strange Attractors" to open up the game to
more severely learning disabled gamers.

Having game areas where you can mess about, and aren't so constrained by
game rules, can really open up a game to a large swathe of gamers, that
might otherwise be excluded. I suppose you could draw parallels with the
free roaming nature of some games, but tie this up with a more accessible
interface, and you've got something really nice.

In the mean time:

http://www.showstudio.com/projects/032/032_interactive.html
http://www.showstudio.com/projects/031/031_interactive.html

http://www.play-create.com/pieces/bitsandpieces/bitsandpieces.html