[games_access] "I want to help the handicapped!" - four different views of disability

d. michelle hinn hinn at uiuc.edu
Wed May 24 12:19:31 EDT 2006

very thought provoking and reminds me of richard recently saying the
now infamous quote about disabilitlies: "nothing about us, without us"

social justice is a tricky term as well but i hope it refers to the
last view on the web page. i get very heated when i hear how i
"suffer" with dyslexia, that it somehow renders me "less" something
(usually the term people are trying to go for without saying it is
intelligent), and that because it lies somewhere in the spectrum of
"learning disabilities" it means that i need x, y, z to go on with
the business of living.

so when you hear me talk about the range of a particular disability,
i'm usually coming about it from my own life. i got through all of my
undergraduate education without anyone noticing it and i probably
would still not know about it had my last class not been focused on
cognitive psychology (and suspected by the instructor). so when i say
"well, it depends..." when pressed for information on how much needs
to be provided in games for the learning disabled (or any
disability), that's where i'm coming from. because, honestly, not all
of us need everything -- but that fact remains that it should be
available in case someone needs something. it's a balancing act but
the options should be there because it represents respect for those
who buy our games -- that is, respect in the individuals who might
need to or prefer to play a game the way THEY want to play. it puts
games back into the realm of "play" where rules are made up on the
fly in the effort to include more people rather than an idealized
version that a "director" or "producer" has that may or may not
reflect the reality of the way people really play.

there's a somewhat parallel research area on this called "reader
response theory" where it calls attention to how we take
stories/books and interpret them with regard to our own life and
situations rather than worry so much about what the author meant.
it's kind of this way with games -- do we play games and wonder
"hmm...should i know more about Will Wright's childhood and family
upbringing in order to play this game and interpret this game in the
'proper' way? is there no value in just playing the game the way i
want to?"

ok...that was a rant! :)

michelle