[games_access] Intro to CC video

AudioGames.net richard at audiogames.net
Fri Nov 17 11:26:38 EST 2006

Depends on the type of captions and the end product (film, web, game) and
computer platform of course (but let's assume PC for now and web-based
movies).

Burned captions are easily to do with Windows Movie Maker. Simply type text
and add and then render the movie. For some time MagPIE was a bit of a
standard for adding external caption files (SMIL, SRT, SUB) to online movies
like .RM and .WMV.  However, that program is quite old and buggy. So at
Accessibility we use Subtitle Workshop, which is a freeware application:
http://www.urusoft.net/download.php?lang=1&id=sw . Still,
subtitling/captioning for the web is a hassle, with all them browsers,
plugins, file formats, etc. The easiest for us is simply a .WMV with a SMIL
file.

Greets,

Richard