[games_access] hotel reservations GDC 2007

d. michelle hinn hinn at uiuc.edu
Fri Nov 17 15:32:49 EST 2006

>  > it's gotta be mainstream but also provide something that focuses on
>disability as a strength...
>
>Sorry - I'm haven't had a chance to learn about the accessibility-idol
>project. But just a couple of ideas that maybe can help the contestants in
>their first steps:

Thanks Amit! So the competition will be live at GDC in March and we
have 5 very seasoned industry veterans (We have coverages from Ultima
to the Madden game series) who have accepted the challenge to make a
mainstream game accessible for gamers with mobility disabilities. So
it's not a project in as much a "reality show" style session to
hopefully pack people in to see what the famous people are doing
messing about with accessibility! So basically what they need from us
is information on how a gamer who is quadriplegic plays games and
then it's up to them to design something awesome. They'll just be
presenting designs rather than finished projects (too little time and
they are very busy people) but it will be a game show/reality show
presentation where one of them will be named....

The Accessibility Idol

:)

The GDC site for the session is at:
https://www.cmpevents.com/GD07/a.asp?option=C&V=11&SessID=3887

We're hoping this will bring a lot of attention to the issue of game
accessibility for mainstream games.