[games_access] first hello

Amit Pitaru [LIST] list at pitaru.com
Wed Oct 18 18:14:26 EDT 2006

Thanks Robert, I'm so happy you like it! Feel free to pass it along and I'm
always interested in feedback.

Re. the chapter - it will not include any code because of the generalized
target-audience. But once this chapter is over with I'd like to start adding
Flash/Java/C++ source-code for all the concepts I'll be touching upon. One
step at a time : )

Re. learning to program - you should know that Flash is now moving from
Actionscript2 (AS2) to AS3, so I'm not sure which books are relevant
anymore. I suggest to start with the Flash class your taking at school and
work it from there. In general, all the books by Colin Moock are excellent
but they are reference guides and not tutorials. The games book you
mentioned should also be great. Otherwise, if you want to pick up
programming in general, there's a great free and open-source platform
developed by two friends of mine at MIT - its http://processing.org
<http://processing.org/>  . It is used by many universities to teach
programming (instead of flash), but is not as comfy towards game-design. Its
also what I use to teach my art students programming 101. If you want to
give it a shot, a freidn of mine is writing a book for it and I'll ask if
it's ok to send you a PDF copy (can't promise though - depends on his
publisher). Let me know..

Thanks for the advice on the tetris game - I'll fix it. Notice that you can
change the scan mode from the menu under SCAN MODE SETTINGS. Both scan speed
and on/off can be set there.

Amit

  _____