[games_access]One Switch Tetris / first hello

AudioGames.net richard at audiogames.net
Thu Oct 19 01:40:02 EDT 2006

Hi,

Thanks, I like your approach as well. Yes, there are some benefits to mine but it also has some disadvantages. The benefits are that the gameplay is quite up to speed and you still can put blocks in between other blocks . The main disadvantage of my technique is that from the moment you've chosen a rotation, you're stuck with it. Your approach allows players to still rotate a piece while it is lowering, which is more like the original Tetris. The reason I chose this approach was mostly the gameplayspeed issue and I think it works quite well intuively this way (but that's me:). I guess that most of the time players already decide where to put a certain piece either when it is still at the top or when it is previewed in the Next Piece window.

Since everything is programmed apart, I also have the following options in One Switch Mode (again, which are *not yet* settable by the player, just by me) :

- Instant Drop = after selecting a rotation (with [Space]), the piece will pan left and right. When the player presses [Spacebar] the piece will immediately drop all the way down on the stack. In the version you played, [Space] is currently set to "Lower" a piece, not "Drop" it. Instant Drop is the Drop it :)
- Automatic Lowering During Rotation: On/Off = this will automatically start lowering the piece while it is rotating and the player has not choses a rotation. After the player has selected a rotation, this feature has no influence on the piece anymore (see next).
- Automatic Lowering (After Rotation): On/Off = this will automatically start lowering the piece after it has been rotated by the player. In this case, pressing [Space] will immediately drop the piece all the way down on the stack (similar to Instant Drop).

I found that these settings provide quite different (and more difficult) gameplay. While the Automatic Drop During Rotation raises tension, the gameplay is still quite managable. But although the "Instant Drop" functionality speeds up gameplay, I find that the game becomes less of a puzzle and more of a shooter :) Of course, I still have to tweak the parameters but somehow I think that for the current settings of the version that is online now mostly resembles the original Tetris-experience.

Anyone else? Robert, don't know if you can access the [Spacebar] but if you can, what do you think of it? I'll make a newer version soon that will let you use any mouseclick as well as any key.

Greets,

Richard