[games_access] MacArthur Chapter (was: Robert's Biography)

d. michelle hinn hinn at uiuc.edu
Wed Oct 25 16:45:32 EDT 2006

Hey Amit and all,

Actually you aren't the only academic working on
accessibility issues and digital media -- most of
this list has already been doing that for a long
time -- but I'm surprised that we're hearing
about this study for the first time. So I'm
wondering how widely the MacArthur foundation
went in their search. But regardless, I'm glad
that someone like you is involved with the
study/book series and is writing on accessibility
and is bringing groups of people like the SIG
into this! :)

There are many people who have collected some of
these gamer voices on forums for the past couple
years. So a lot of this already exists. It might
be that gamers with disabilities might not find
your forum because they are already hooked into
other sites and communities that directly focus
on accessible games that exist. Or it might be
that, like us, we are already way over our heads
with our own forums that we are electronically
tapped out. ;) So maybe the best way to do this
is to think about what we already know exists
rather than focusing on new forums -- that's been
one of the challenges we've been dealing with
since the start of the SIG -- trying to get
disenfranchised groups together. So maybe the
idea of another group building more forums in yet
another place is causing some confusion amongst
members of the list. I do understand that
MacArthur probably wants these forums to be under
their IP (intellectual property) but that might
be causing a bit of resistance. Not sure.

Thoughts everyone? I know that I'm pretty tapped
out with conference proposals and our book that
moving in another direction is pretty hard to
imagine. Perhaps, Amit, you could help us see
what specifically you would like to focus on in
your chapter to avoid the chapter overlapping
work we're already doing professionally (ie, some
might be hesitant to contribute something that is
a chapter in progress for the book or something
that they are about to unveil as a product). I
think that's what Robert was most concerned with.
I know that part of my concerns has been that we
might be overlapping some work that we are hoping
will receive funding from other agencies and if
it's under the MacArthur foundation's IP then
we're in trouble. Also, gameaccessibility.com is
funded by external sources and so there is
already a potential conflict of interest there --
but that's something that Richard can explain
more about (he's out of town this week and out of
email communication).

Oh boy...did anyone predict the day that we'd have to worry about all this? :)

So in summary... :) I think that we need to
understand a bit more about the specific aim of
the chapter (ie, what specifically do you want to
cover rather than the general "game
accessibility"). And who "owns" the materials
that MacArthur solicits? Do we give up our own
ownership (ie, will we not be able to publish
this on our own if it's covered in the MacArthur
forums) and shoot ourselves in the foot with
regard to funding proposals and our book? So I
think that understanding this better will help
people feel more at ease since we've been working
on this for years and it is the field we work in
so we want to have our work represented as "our
work" (whatever that means -- it might mean the
place we work at or the company we work for) and
not something that we now have to cite the
MacArthur foundation in.

Please don't take this as my thinking that you
are disingenuous -- my intent is quite the
opposite. I'm simply trying to help people feel
more at ease and help support what could be a
very valuable association. But the unfortunate
reality is that we've had our work wholly
"borrowed" by a number of groups without citing
us (the SIG, a research group, etc) and we've
lost the IP on it. So I want to try and prevent
that from happening again as much as possible. :)

Cheers,
Michelle