[games_access] Future Play Poster 2006 and Top 10 List

AudioGames.net richard at audiogames.net
Sat Sep 9 17:13:38 EDT 2006

Hi again,

I would stay with a top 10 list, if only to offer some more choice and
advice to developers. If 3 to 5 suggestions are a bit vague or debatable,
then instead of just removing them, maybe let's debate and improve them?
I'll contact Eelke about the design patterns again, we did already talk
about it and there are some pro's and con's with using a "pattern approach",
depending on the target audience. Eelke is not on this list yet (or so I
believe) but I'll mail him now.

How I see it, is not going deep into the field of design patterns, but
simply using the format that Eelke uses to describe his design patterns for
describing the meaning of this top 10 list. Next monday I'll setup a page on
www.game-accessibility.com for it that everyone can link to. Or better yet:
we can also provide some small code that people can put on their website
which will then display the top 10 list? So there is one source, and then we
put it on igda.org/accessibility and the wiki and wherever? How's that?

And I would like to improve point 8: "Add audio tags to all significant
elements including actors, doors, items, resulting actions, etc."
I think this point is not very practicle in this form, and I doubt it will
make a game much more accessible with 'tags'. Keeping in mind of course that
there several mainstream games being played by the blind simply because they
do contain a lot of sound - but in turn, the gameplay itsself is also
responsible for this.

I do not yet have a great alternative. I think making games accessible for
the blind would surely include:

- point 3 and 4 of the current list
- an auditory "narrator" function - basically a stream of explanatory sound,
providing enough references to fully play the game. This could consist of
several techniques, such as speech giving descriptions, a continu ousradar
or sonar indicating locations and directions, etc. etc. I see that this is
probably the current point 8 in other words :)  The difference being in the
word "tags".
-

-

this could be a modification to Eelke's Tutorial Agent (as a constant
assistan