call for Roberts meeting RE: [games_access] Retro Remakes 2006 Games:The Pyramid

Barrie Ellis barrie.ellis at oneswitch.org.uk
Sun Sep 10 07:51:44 EDT 2006

Hello Robert,

I really don't advise using this game to point out inaccessible game play - as it's one of the best efforts to date in my eyes. However, there are a few things that could be impoved and fixed, bearing in mind your difficulties, so I'd really like to identify what needs to be done.

Mouse and Head Tracker users

I have found with a number of games, dwell clicking has proved to be a problem. Some games do not recognised certain dwell clickers at all. After your e-mail I noticed that the "Click here to continue" banner on the "Pyramid" does not work either, with my older dwell clicker software.

Solution: I contacted Natural Point, who have supplied an "2kXP" compatible dwell clicker for all games. I have attached this for anyone wishing to try this out (works with a standard mouse too). You need to go to the "set up" icon, then click the "2k/Xp clicking mode" button. Seems that there is an issue with Windows 2000 and XP and the way that clicks are sent and recognised with lots of games (generally games that use Direct X to take over the whole screen - many windowed games seem to work fine.

>From this update, I have played "The Pyramid" perfectly using a head tracker with and without a switch. You should be able to pause the game for a rest, and quit too pretty easily back to the front menu and in turn Windows / your operating system.

What head-tracker system are you using? Also are you even using dwell clicking, or are you using a sip/puff switch to act as mouse clicks?

There is another issue with many head trackers, where dwell clicking doesn't allow for toggled controls (e.g. Imagine a car game. You may find it beneficial to dwell click for accellerator on which is held on until you dwell click again for accellerator off. Most dwell clickers will be a fast on/off click at present. Certainly an issue - for instance - dwell clickers won't work well with "Flow in Games": http://intihuatani.usc.edu/cloud/flowing/).

One Switch gamers

Works well. Hold the button down to select, tap to move down through menu options.

There is an issue with switches used with adapted joypads/joysticks. If the switch is connected to UP, DOWN, LEFT or RIGHT and you are using JoyToKey to trigger a SPACE press, the game will respond as though you are using both at the same time, and trigger double presses. Thus you'll find that tapping a switch connected to DOWN  causes double presses, making you fly down the menu faster than you'd like to.

Solution: In One Switch control mode - ignore the joystick.

Another potential problem would be for gamers unable to hold the space bar down reliably. A scan and select menu might be beneficial.

Joystick gamers

At the Retro Remakes splash screen, you can not proceed without recourse to a different control system (keyboard or left mouse click).

Solution: Display the splash screen for a fixed time, then automatically go to the main menu. Detect joystick movement - go to the main menu.

User-defining the joystick has some issues. You don't seem to be able to define a Playstation controller standard UP, DOWN, LEFT and RIGHT as the controls. Seems like a small bug that could be fixed fairly easily.

All gamers

The front menu screen is perhaps a little cluttered and might benefit from some symbols (e.g. spanner for options - traditional exit of man running through a door for exit - and a start symbol - don't know what).

Otherwise - please, Robert - don't use this game as an example of an inaccessible game. You may found that the dwell clicker fix opens the whole game up to you. From here there are many things we all want to see included in accessible games. Wide difficulty levels, speed controls, choice of control methods and reconfigurable controls, options for visually impaired gamers, pause options for head tracker users to avoid neck ache, free-play testing areas, clear instructions and so on. Apart from Access Invaders, there's not much else to touch this for all round accessibility. I'll pass on these thoughts and others to Chris Roper of PugFugly games, and see what he says.

Archaist (by Tesa and Michi)

Well, another game in the meanwhile....Archaist (http://www.michi.nu/games/archaist/index.php) - Again some very nice accessibility features. Head tracker users may need the "2K/XP" fix. What do people think on this one?

Barrie
www.OneSwitch.org.uk