[games_access] Second life, Web2.0 and AJAX

d. michelle hinn hinn at uiuc.edu
Tue Aug 21 12:23:39 EDT 2007

Well, to add one thing back from Eelke -- his suggestion was not to
start a SIG in facebook but to put in a group that led those
interested in the issue to us. More of an advertisement not another
group to run.

Secondlife == bad for many, especially the blind. Those with mobility
disabilities have mixed success depending on the types of assistive
technology they use either being or not being useful in that
world/game. They are open source now so that means that clients can
be made but lots remains to be learned about who uses what, etc.
Eelke's leading up the work for SecondLife and just got a nice NSF
(National Science Foundation) grant to work on accessible clients.

That being said, I think that UT Dallas was exploring a secondlife
community within secondlife about accessibility issues but I'm not
sure the status of that. It's been a while sense I've heard anything
(1 year plus). The main issue I believe was that if someone couldn't
access SL period then they couldn't get to a group within SL. It
would be nice to have a tiny presence in there to tell people about
the issues briefly and lead them to the SIG site (GA is also now part
of the SIG site but we're waiting on the IGDA people to unveil their
new tools for SIGs to use before we fully integrate it). That way we
might get more MMO people to join in the cause because we are sadly
lacking in that area.

Michelle