[games_access] one button FPS demo

Eelke Folmer eelke.folmer at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 20:04:43 EDT 2007

Hi,

I don't control the navigation. I just do the shooting. ;-)
Using only one button to do the shooting and the navigation at the
same time is impossible. However we are considering another way of
using the button. If you hold it we can either: quit the game or
switch to another mode (see game modes later on).

What we basically did is:
1) create bots that run around and chase players or run away when they
get hit to badly or run out of ammo. All these bots run on the server.
2) map the players view onto a bot.
3) map a keypress from the player's client which by the server is
interpreted and makes your bot shoot. To the player it doesn't make a
difference.

Everything is distributed as a DLL, you can place the DLL in the root
of your game and it should turn your HL2 deathmatch into a one button
shooter. The HL2 engine & server have a mechanism for inserting bots
using DLL's which we exploit. We will start distributing the DLL early
next week as soon as we fix some bugs, such as the ladder climb.

You traverse the game area using waypoints.Your bot will randomly
travel to a location using an A* pathfinding algorithm until you
encounter an enemy. If your health and ammo are okay the bot will
engage and flee otherwise if it runs out of health or ammo. So there's
a couple of modes that the player can be in: attack, find, flee. This
is communicated to the player. When you run out of bullets we change
the weapon. Each weapon has a certain profile set to it. So certain
weapons will keep you at a certain distance from the enemy to . In
addition we also have different player profiles which embody a certain
behavior e.g. camper, suicide attacker etc. We haven't played around
with that much yet.

To prevent the player getting nauseous we aim to be as much forward
oriented (E.g. minimize the number of turns and looking around).

Any more questions let me know!

cheers Eelke

On 8/30/07, Ioo <ioo at ablegamers.com> wrote:
> How do you move around this game area? It is path set? Because I can see
> shoot shoot kill kill, but I am unsure how you traverse the landscape.
>
> Thanks
>
> Mark
> AbleGamers.com
>
> Eelke Folmer wrote:
> > Hi Reid,
> >
> > Thanks for the info, I actually just received mail from the
> > organisation explaining the situation and they encourage us to submit
> > it in the student competition.
> >
> > Do you have the Halflife2 or the original game? I still don't know how
> > exactly we should distribute our mod. We just completely hacked the
> > engine and just play the existing levels in HL2. I guess since I have
> > the SDK i can distribute my own version of the engine & server but I
> > can't distribute the maps. I'll ask my students how to do it and get
> > back to you ASAP.
> >
> > Cheers Eelke
> >

> > On 8/30/07, Reid Kimball <reid at rbkdesign.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Super work Eelke. After looking around on www.igf.com I found this,
> >>
> >> - The IGF Student Competition will once again award the best student
> >> games, and this year will also include student 'mods' to existing
> >> games. As a result, it's likely that the number of Student Showcase
> >> winners will be increased slightly. The deadline to enter will be
> >> Monday, October 15th, 2007.
> >>
> >> Sadly, they aren't doing a separate modding competition this year, :(.
> >>
> >> I'd love to try your mod if possible.
> >>
> >> -Reid

Eelke Folmer                           Assistant Professor
Department of CS&E/171
University of Nevada              Reno, Nevada 89557
Game interaction design        www.helpyouplay.com