[games_access] GDC - more positive...

Barrie Ellis barrie.ellis at oneswitch.org.uk
Sat Dec 1 04:02:58 EST 2007

Agreed! I contacted Bizarre Creations recently about adding accessibility
features to Project Gotham Racing, a bit too late really...

-----------------------------------
Would you please consider the following for various disabled gamers?
Fully reconfigurable controls - that even allows for the more simple Xbox
arcade stick to work with your game.
A few ordinary cars that aren't too fast.
A quick start option from the go.
An oval test track.

Here's the reply from Sarah Chudley, Bizarre's commercial director:
--------------------------------
Hi Barrie,

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you - this has been passed over to
me to chase up.

I'm currently investigating if anything can be done in terms of PGR4 or The
Club, which is nearly finished, but we're also thinking about these points
for the future.

So leave it with me and I'll hope to be back to you shortly.

All the best, and thanks for the mail,

Sarah
---------------------------------
Embarrasingly for me - this is the first company I've contacted, beyond Sony
and the umbrella groups. Seems pretty positive. Let's keep building, and
waving the IGDA GASIG flag - and let's keep contacting companies with
specific recommendations that aren't too scary to implement. Foremostly -
let's keep things easy to understand for people that this stuff is still
brand new to.

I don't think it will be 10 years before a mainstream game has accessibility
features, because there's already games out there with them. Getting some
kind of standards going - maybe.... Let's make it quicker though if we can!

Barrie
www.OneSwitch.org.uk