[games_access] GDC 2008: VERY Bad News

John Bannick jbannick at 7128.com
Sat Dec 1 13:20:50 EST 2007

Barrie,

No. Not harsh. Just on point. (Programmers are not hired for their social
skills.)

1. Yes.

But this SIG is unique in that it is the one active place that covers
multiple challenges, has an international audience, and clearly has the
ears of some key industry players. If this SIG has its own concise,
specific, answer to "what do you want us developers to do?" please point me
to it.

2. Again, this SIG has a unique position in that it can credibly publish
such a list, that address multiple challenges, internationally, and has the
ear of the major developers. Is there any such recognized list of companies
and games? Why not from this SIG?

3. Please.

I'm on the Game Accessibility Project forum every day. It's getting spammed
without intervention. It's much lower volume than such a fine effort
warrants.  Richard says he's out of there. It's adrift.

And Mark's forum is outstanding, but does not right now have the attention
of the industry leaders, or actual developers, that this SIG does. (No
criticism, he's doing a wonderful job.) I'm on Audyssey every day and it
has a very active set of game developers that help each other all the time.
But it's limited to the blind and VI folks.

I'd not heard of the RetroRemakes forum (thanks for the tip) but according
to its main page, it's most recent post was in August.

Show me a forum where mainstream game developers meet to help each other
make accessibility happen.

The three proposals stand.

John