[games_access] Getting Federal government. On our side.

Robert Florio arthit73 at cablespeed.com
Mon Dec 3 15:36:07 EST 2007

That's cool Ben I appreciate what you said.

>From my experience and the experience we've already gotten results from
leading industry people, there is no solution.

I think it's ridiculous I don't think the sig will be viewed as an enemy I
think it's a necessary step.

The part about doing surveys and trying to find and research information is
fine but I don't know how easy it will be because I don't think any of us
has a direct way to actually go out and survey the people we need.  And now
we need that.

It will make the petition stronger.  Brainstorming is needed how do we get
these surveys?  Who do I contact, in person or just e-mail?

The industry already we know they don't design excessively and we know they
don't like the government messing with them, this is an entirely different
thing.  We're not saying they are ruining our child's development with
violence, sex, drugs and alcohol, they are just saying we are discriminating
against interested consumers.  So that might be a little similar but either
way you look at it I think a necessary thing.

If anything I think a petition just serves to show whoever needs to see the
information whether it be government, the industry leaders, whomever, that
there is real backing behind this movement.

Coupled together with what I think is a great idea for some research and
surveys.  But from what I researched petitions are not very detailed they
become very lengthy and hard on the viewer to understand.  They need to be
right to the point specifically so I wrote up a draft I hope some people
might look at it and say something.

But I don't think waiting, Ben, like you might be suggesting, I might be
wrong, for actual games to be made to show how it can be done most likely
won't happen.  Because we can't wait around for process of natural
selection, I'm not an evolutionist, but it sounds funny that way the way I
said it.  I mean someday hopefully a big-time company might go all out on
accessibility but that's like waiting and wishing not knowing anything.
When and where.

I appreciate your thoughts definitely agree that surveys will really help.
In the meantime I think it's great to have a petition ready.  I hope you
look at the draft I wrote.  It's in a previous submission.

I think we absolutely should not be afraid of the industry.  If we are
afraid of them thinking of us as campaign issue starters and becoming
opponents instead of partners, I feel like we will lay down our initiatives
waiting for them to do something instead of going out and making it happen
faster.  It's a human rights issue and claiming I think everyone can see the
industry is not budging.  It's subjective with, budging, the way I mean it
is there's absolutely no big talk on any huge game releases worldwide
showing there is a movement supported by the industry.  Besides independent
gamers and designers but that hasn't made an impact.

If we can rally the right people behind us coupled with surveys than we can
get hopefully important people inspired to actually maybe do something.  I
think when people stand together in a crowd, it holds a lot more weight,
than one or two people standing alone together pointing to a direction where
everyone should be.  When you can plainly see everybody already is behind
these hypothetical 2 people to walk that direction.  I think that's basic
psychology and the way humanity approaches most serious issues.

Robert