[games_access] Gentle Petition

d. michelle hinn hinn at uiuc.edu
Wed Dec 5 11:52:39 EST 2007

Yes, going down a serious government track often ends up that way
here too -- I think just getting the message out that games can help
from a positive psychology standpoint helps raise awareness amongst
legislators. I received an email yesterday -- the daily ECA bulletin
-- apparently a report came out yesterday that put the game industry
in hot water again. Apparently "games" are even worse for us than
ever was the gist of this report and the ESRP got slammed. So the
industry is STILL having to defend it's existance daily. So anything
we can do to help put games in a positive light, I think the industry
would get behind. So a "pledge of support" for game accessibility may
be what we want our next move to be.

For more on the ECA (I'm a founding member!), go to
http://www.theeca.com/ -- The IGDA has agreed (and are totally
backing the ECA, which is consumer aimed rather than developer aimed)
to let us partner with them in fighting to keep the game industry
healthy. Reid and I talked with them at E for All and I've been
emailing them -- they are helping us get some major names (I'll
announce things officially when we have the written support) in
gaming to join in with us.

I think to avoid the lawsuit mess that is tying up our courts and
actually really messing over different entertainment industries
because what they thought was a good idea actually ended up thrown
back in their faces, we should definitely work on this "positive
awareness" versus legislation idea. Robert has started things going
-- if we could all take a little time in the next week or so (I know
so many of us are slammed giving exams and/or taking exams right
about now because we are either instructors or students (or both!) so
this week and next is probably pretty rough on time) and help the
petition become something we as a SIG can stand behind and feel that
it is not anti-industry but that it is positive industry, that would
be great.

You know...we've also never gotten the industry to get behind us in a
formal way so why not take this energy and do this now? Sure, it's
not about changing laws but it's perhaps even more important. Because
the industry needs us and others that know that gaming is important
because it's a route to leisure, which is what makes life, well, fun!
:) So if we change our wording in the petition to something positive
and inspiring, well that could really, really work. And remember --
GDC is SOON! And Robert is one of the few of us that has a pass
(Thanks again to Eelke who generously gave his pass up so Robert
could attend) so, hey, let's turn this opportunity into something we
can go into to GDC with -- it's a great talking point!

Michelle