[games_access] Harmonix needs our help!

AudioGames.net richard at audiogames.net
Sat Dec 15 19:30:42 EST 2007

Great question!

First thing to jump to mind is to do something with the gamer's mouth/vocal
options because it's free and available. Two ideas would then be either some
very simple bite/sip/puff controller or a very simple head mic-setup (of
course you need to be careful in a room full of sound with placing mics). A
sip/puff/bite controller has the issue of hygiene which can be a pretty big
problem. If so, go for the mic (which is simple hardware as well). The only
thing you need from either the mic or the sip/puff/bite controller is a
trigger of some sort. A player would then use his arms for the standard
hi-hat/snare/toms/riot/crashes/cowbell-stuff, and "sing" the kick:
"boom"+hihat > hihat > hihat+snare > "boomboom"+hihat > etc. A benefit of
this solution is that I think it can actually add to the fun of the game.
The drummers in the bands I used to play in were always the types of guys
who would always mimic what they were playing with their voice:
"boom-tjak-ka-boomboom-tjakcrash"- that sort of thing (especially in the bar
after practice ;).  Also, when synced with samples of a kick-drum, gamers
might be awed, thinking it is really cool to "boom" in a mic and hear a
kickdrum from the machine ;) It might even turned out to make the game a bit
easier... ? Alex, is there is a lot of double kickdrum in there?

Greets,

Richard