[games_access] Getting Federal government. On our side.

Matthias Troup foreversublime at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 16 09:58:11 EST 2007

Getting a law passed should be an issue dropped from the SIG.  The bottom line is that games aren't meant for everyone to begin with.  Nothing is.

Influence through inspiration is an honorable way to meet the SIG's goals.  Forcing its hand by law is condemnable.  The former may not be the most effective, but the latter doesn't consider for one second that everything this SIG stands for MIGHT BE "WRONG".  On a social level accessibility *might* be a nice accomplishment.  How about from other perspectives?  Entertainment?  Art?  Creative freedom?  I enjoy designing accessible games on an independent/"hobbyist" basis,
but I cringe to think what forced accessibility would do (or not do) on
a grand scale.  I'll reserve my "what if" statements.

The only place accessibility may have a legal leg to stand on is in a public school setting.  Are most people with special needs able to attend public schools (bad question - as there is such a large range of disabilities)?  Does it impede the progress of able bodies?  Remember - in America - "The needs of the MANY outweigh the needs of a few" or so it's believed.  Are American children under-performing because the top 50% of students are being held back by laws, goals, and actions focused on the bottom 50% (I'm not assuming disabled people are "dumb", but most are "under-performing" by definition that they don't have tools needed to maximize potential)?  We can't be educated enough to know.  As wide a range of accessibility features there could be for different disabilities there are different points of view of how a law may have a positive or negative impact on the very society [able-bodied inclusive] this group is trying to help.  So, please continue to inspire, and please keep this out of reach from the law.