[games_access] Fwd: interesting discussion about making SecondLife accessible to the blind

d. michelle hinn hinn at uiuc.edu
Thu Jan 11 18:39:58 EST 2007

Yes, this is true -- and actually since it's a "place of business"
for some that even Reuters international news service is following it
puts them into even more danger according to several US laws. SL is
not a game but an online world that allows users to create games...or
businesses...or classes...

And since users *can* (and I'm not saying will) make real money off
of their ventures...it places it into interesting legal territory.
Although...with SL really pushing their product at gaming
conferences, it makes them into a (sorry for the geekiness of
this...) a shape-shifter of sorts, allowing them to align themselves
as whatever form (business and concept-wise) is valuable to them at
whatever point in time.

The game versus simulation should tie up the courts a bit -- and SL
needs to clarify whatever position they intend to defend themselves
with. Whatever angle they go with...that will be on the legal books
for some time in the US (unless/until overturned).

Michelle