[games_access] Open Captions - Beta site

Amit Pitaru [LIST] list at pitaru.com
Thu Jan 11 23:11:21 EST 2007

My friend and colleague from NYU John Schimmel (schimmel at nyu.edu) has just
released his new project-  http://www.opencaptions.com/. His mission -
collaborative captioning of video on the web! This is one of the best
projects I've seen in a while. In his own words:

######

So I've been working on a project called Open Captions since Oct. (I program
really slow), and it's a web site that allows you to add captions/subtitles
to videos that already exist on the Internet - "Let the masses caption
videos for their friends and relatives because we don't want the Internet to
forget anyone" type of website.
It currently works with any Google video, YouTube video or Quicktime
URL.   I have a good working version online now, excluding Internet
Explorer users,  you can see it here, http://www.opencaptions.com/ video .

I would like to get some people using it, teachers, video bloggers,
diplomats, etc. As well as deaf people and those who are multilingual. If
you have any friends who might be interested please pass the website on to
them.  And feel free to give it a try yourself.

Some quickies about the site,
* A forum and blog are going up shortly.
* Caption translation / mechanical turk  like feature is in the works to
turn existing transcriptions into subtitles.
* Yeah, the interface needs a makeover. Ideas?
* IE browser is a pain in the arse.
* Captioning is tedious and takes about 3 times longer than the video
itself. Don't try to caption a Noam Chomsky video, you'll get hurt.

Stay warm.

Thanks!
John

######