[games_access] Tuesday meeting summary posted

d. michelle hinn hinn at uiuc.edu
Tue Jul 10 12:10:33 EDT 2007

Well, I'd put an "academic" committee there on the wiki but it was
more in the lines of curriculum (ie, how to include GA into your Game
Design courses and the DIGRA/IGDA connection -- starting it,
strengthening it).

I think "research" is one of those things that straddles academia and
industry (the committee names -- not set in stone -- could be edited
as needed). So why don't I add "research," have you chair that, and
then you and I can discuss projects you'd like to initiate and then
you'll take it from there?

The idea of committee chairs, or "executive board members in charge
of X committee" as I have it now (only with less words), would not be
micromanaged by me. Instead my hopes is that each chair would get an
initial pep talk/brainstorming from/with me, and then go with it!
Keep me up to date when you run into snags, etc. Each chair would
have more "leverage" to then say "I'm in charge of X for the IGDA
SIG," which is something that we all want (believe me...I do too!).
Then give a quarterly 1-2 paragraph "reports" for a SIG newsletter
(something simple like text only email and cross-posted on the web).

Later when we have a more stable structure and I need to step down
for health reasons and/or for "I've had this job too long!" reasons,
being a committee chair (and being a good one!) will give a SIG chair
candidate more to show for what they've worked on with the SIG, etc.
It's all a part of my grand plan. ;) Obviously it's time for me to
set things up so that I can eventually (ie, not now, don't panic
people!) transition out but right now, knowing what I know about
chairing the SIG (all the planning, politicing, checking in), I could
not in good conscious hand over the reins -- it'd be abandonment!!!
It will be hard on me (the SIG's like my kid!) when the day comes
that I step down and open up voting for a new chair but sooner or
later it will be time. As I said, we need to see strong leadership
even from those who don't desire to be chair to keep things going as
a SIG but this isn't a monarchy!  So committee chairs would be able
to learn the things I've learned, build on it, and go with it! It's
too risky having just one person with all the contacts, inside info,
etc -- to grow as a SIG, more need to be involved!

Just as an aside -- I'd like to thank Eelke for his courage to post
his ideas about the SIG a few months ago (you know what I'm talking
about). ;) We've talked many times since then and we've agreed that
we both were seeing things through the exhaustion of GDC and that our
desire for the SIG to grow was the same (we even shared the same
opinions on many of the issues -- we just needed to calm down a bit a
realize we were arguing for the same things. That being said, I'd
like to apologize on list for the rift  and to Eelke for any hurtful
things I may have said in the heat of defending myself -- I'd never
intended to "do it all" but our structure was such that the SIG was
set up so that it would fall on me. Hard not to take things so
personally when it's all falling on you! So now it's time to keep
moving forward towards this thing we call Accessible Gaming!
TOGETHER! :)

Michelle