[games_access] test

Lynn V. Marentette lynnvm at carolina.rr.com
Tue Jul 31 19:53:58 EDT 2007


I got this message..

Lynn V. Marentette


TechPsych
Interactive Multimedia Technology
YouTube Channel
Photography





On Jul 31, 2007, at 5:32 PM, games_access-request at igda.org wrote:


> Send games_access mailing list submissions to

> games_access at igda.org

>

> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit

> http://seven.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/games_access

> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to

> games_access-request at igda.org

>

> You can reach the person managing the list at

> games_access-owner at igda.org

>

> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific

> than "Re: Contents of games_access digest..."

>

>

> Today's Topics:

>

> 1. Out of Office Reply (David Colven)

> 2. List Testing... (hinn at uiuc.edu)

> 3. Re: Games for All research (hinn at uiuc.edu)

> 4. Re: Meeting Wednesday at 12noon NYC time (hinn at uiuc.edu)

> 5. Re: Games for All research (hinn at uiuc.edu)

> 6. Meeting Wednesday at 12noon NYC time (hinn at uiuc.edu)

> 7. List problems (hinn at uiuc.edu)

>

>

> ----------------------------------------------------------------------

>

> Message: 1

> Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 15:34:37 +0100

> From: David Colven <colven at ace-centre.org.uk>

> Subject: [games_access] Out of Office Reply

> To: IGDA Games Accessibility SIG Mailing List <games_access at igda.org>

> Message-ID: <gag4o3vgvkjwnag.310720071534 at ace-centre.org.uk>

> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

>

> I will be out of the office until 2nd August. If your enquiry is

> urgent please phone 01865 759800

>

> David Colven

>

>

>

> ------------------------------

>

> Message: 2

> Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 16:17:24 -0500 (CDT)

> From: <hinn at uiuc.edu>

> Subject: [games_access] List Testing...

> To: IGDA Games Accessibility SIG Mailing List <games_access at igda.org>

> Message-ID: <20070731161724.ASV09493 at expms2.cites.uiuc.edu>

> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

>

> None of my messages are getting through so this is a test...1 2

> 3... this is only a test...

> .......................................

> these are mediocre times and people are

> losing hope. it's hard for many people

> to believe that there are extraordinary

> things inside themselves, as well as

> others. i hope you can keep an open

> mind.

> -- "unbreakable"

> .......................................

>

>

> ------------------------------

>

> Message: 3

> Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 16:18:33 -0500 (CDT)

> From: <hinn at uiuc.edu>

> Subject: Re: [games_access] Games for All research

> To: IGDA Games Accessibility SIG Mailing List <games_access at igda.org>

> Message-ID: <20070731161833.ASV09678 at expms2.cites.uiuc.edu>

> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

>

> resending...

>

> ---- Original message ----

>> Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 15:25:50 -0500 (CDT)

>> From: <hinn at uiuc.edu>

>> Subject: Re: [games_access] Games for All research

>> To: IGDA Games Accessibility SIG Mailing List <games_access at igda.org>

>>

>> Thanks Reid! Would you feel ok about putting this in the wiki as

>> the "meeting notes" for the meeting that didn't happen? That way

>> we archive it and have a place to further develop it.

>>

>> Folks from last Tuesday -- this is what I was trying to explain

>> (badly) last week.

>>

>> I can get access to the people for the article and, as you know, I

>> think it's a great idea. I'll be glad to help write it as a co-

>> author if you would like.

>>

>> Of course we have to make sure that we don't lose gamers with

>> disabilities (sometimes devs will start to make something that

>> might have been accessible but then feature creep takes over). But

>> I can't see us losing sight of that. Instead we get to put it more

>> in the limelight by adding that "see? this is really what we mean

>> by accessibility improving design and resulting in innovative

>> gameplay for EVERYONE."

>>

>> So let me know what our next step should be and you and I can

>> start contacting the folks you mentioned.

>>

>> Michelle

>>

>> ---- Original message ----

>>> Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 06:51:39 -0700

>>> From: "Reid Kimball" <reid at rbkdesign.com>

>>> Subject: [games_access] Games for All research

>>> To: "IGDA Games Accessibility SIG Mailing List"

>>> <games_access at igda.org>

>>>

>>> 0_o... no one showed up to the meeting on Tuesday morning, here's

>>> what

>>> I wanted to talk about.

>>>

>>> Some of you have heard about my suggestion to begin talking about

>>> our

>>> work in a larger context of "Games for All" instead of "Games for

>>> the

>>> Disabled". I suggest this because I see an increasing trend from

>>> publishers and developers showing great interest in making their

>>> games

>>> more accessible, using the same techniques and methods we advocate.

>>> However, they are applying these approaches not to the disabled, but

>>> to the novice gamer who has never played before. The industry

>>> wants to

>>> continue this growth and the only way they believe they can do

>>> that is

>>> to broaden our reach to people who don't play games. Luckily, their

>>> approaches also benefit those who are disabled, for the most part.

>>>

>>> I think our new approach when talking with developers should be to

>>> highlight, that we can help them make Games for All, and as an added

>>> benefit, most features will already help disabled to play their

>>> games

>>> without them having to do anything extra.

>>>

>>> As an example, Peter Molyneux, famed game designer is working on

>>> Fable

>>> 2 which features a one button combat system.

>>>

>>> "I want as many people to play this game as humanly possible,"

>>> series

>>> visionary Peter Molyneux told us as he began the demo. "To do that,

>>> it's all about making the experience as accessible as possible, and

>>> doing that comes down to this," he said, holding up the 360

>>> controller. The key to accessibility is simplifying the controls so

>>> anyone can pick up and play the game, he argues. "Action-RPGs like

>>> Fable are 60 percent combat," he said, "so we absolutely have to get

>>> that right. If we're going to make it so that anyone can play

>>> this, we

>>> need to simplify things. In Fable 2, all of the combat is executed

>>> with one button."

>>> Source - http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3161110

>>>

>>> EA Sports has announced a new control mode in some of their sports

>>> games called Family Play.

>>>

>>> "EA SPORTS Family Play on the Wii creates an incredibly

>>> accessible and

>>> user-friendly experience that the whole family will enjoy," said

>>> Dave

>>> McCarthy, Executive Producer for the three games developed at EA

>>> Canada. "While many fans love to control every piece of the action,

>>> novice players can have just as much fun jumping in to throw a

>>> touchdown pass, nail a three pointer or take a shot on goal. Family

>>> Play brings together fans of all ages to enjoy playing EA SPORTS

>>> games, and even let's them ease in to Advanced play if they desire."

>>> Source - http://games.ign.com/articles/801/801917p1.html

>>>

>>> LucasArts, the company I work for is in the this same mindset,

>>> that we

>>> must find ways to make our games more accessible so that we can

>>> attract people who don't normally play games.

>>>

>>> Because of this recent trend and our ability to position ourself

>>> as a

>>> leader in this area, I'm doing some research. I believe that novice

>>> players might experience the same exact control issues that disabled

>>> people do. The only difference is that the novice player is able to

>>> improve their skills to overcome the physical and mental barriers

>>> they

>>> first experience. I'd like more thoughts on this, data that proves

>>> this to be true. The only thing I've found yet is this artice,

>>>

>>> http://primotechnology.com/issues/004/04/warrior-woman.html, in it I

>>> think I've found many quotes that point to the same kinds of

>>> physical

>>> AND learning disabilities as Dyspraxia, Dysgraphia.

>>>

>>> In the end, I'd like to produce an article for Gamasutra with quotes

>>> from Peter Molyneux, Will Wright, Sid Meir, EA and anyone else I can

>>> find talking about the value of making Games for All and problems

>>> and

>>> solutions encountered.

>>>

>>> -Reid

>>> _______________________________________________

>>> games_access mailing list

>>> games_access at igda.org

>>> http://seven.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/games_access

>> .......................................

>> these are mediocre times and people are

>> losing hope. it's hard for many people

>> to believe that there are extraordinary

>> things inside themselves, as well as

>> others. i hope you can keep an open

>> mind.

>> -- "unbreakable"

>> .......................................

> .......................................

> these are mediocre times and people are

> losing hope. it's hard for many people

> to believe that there are extraordinary

> things inside themselves, as well as

> others. i hope you can keep an open

> mind.

> -- "unbreakable"

> .......................................

>

>

> ------------------------------

>

> Message: 4

> Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 16:19:11 -0500 (CDT)

> From: <hinn at uiuc.edu>

> Subject: Re: [games_access] Meeting Wednesday at 12noon NYC time

> To: IGDA Games Accessibility SIG Mailing List <games_access at igda.org>

> Message-ID: <20070731161911.ASV09731 at expms2.cites.uiuc.edu>

> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

>

> resending...

>

>> Hi everyone,

>>

>> There is another SIG meeting planned for tomorrow at 12 noon, New

>> York City time. Please reply to the list if you are planning on

>> being there.

>>

>> I have a doctor's appt tomorrow at that same time that I made two

>> months ago that I can't change. But I don't want to cancel the

>> meeting, as people have a lot that they want to talk about. Could

>> someone kindly step up to lead the meeting tomorrow? And if you

>> do, please post your MSN messenger ID so that people can find you!

>>

>> Thanks,

>> Michelle

>> .......................................

>> these are mediocre times and people are

>> losing hope. it's hard for many people

>> to believe that there are extraordinary

>> things inside themselves, as well as

>> others. i hope you can keep an open

>> mind.

>> -- "unbreakable"

>> .......................................

> .......................................

> these are mediocre times and people are

> losing hope. it's hard for many people

> to believe that there are extraordinary

> things inside themselves, as well as

> others. i hope you can keep an open

> mind.

> -- "unbreakable"

> .......................................

>

>

> ------------------------------

>

> Message: 5

> Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 15:25:50 -0500 (CDT)

> From: <hinn at uiuc.edu>

> Subject: Re: [games_access] Games for All research

> To: IGDA Games Accessibility SIG Mailing List <games_access at igda.org>

> Message-ID: <20070731152550.ASV03602 at expms2.cites.uiuc.edu>

> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

>

> Thanks Reid! Would you feel ok about putting this in the wiki as

> the "meeting notes" for the meeting that didn't happen? That way we

> archive it and have a place to further develop it.

>

> Folks from last Tuesday -- this is what I was trying to explain

> (badly) last week.

>

> I can get access to the people for the article and, as you know, I

> think it's a great idea. I'll be glad to help write it as a co-

> author if you would like.

>

> Of course we have to make sure that we don't lose gamers with

> disabilities (sometimes devs will start to make something that

> might have been accessible but then feature creep takes over). But

> I can't see us losing sight of that. Instead we get to put it more

> in the limelight by adding that "see? this is really what we mean

> by accessibility improving design and resulting in innovative

> gameplay for EVERYONE."

>

> So let me know what our next step should be and you and I can start

> contacting the folks you mentioned.

>

> Michelle

>

> ---- Original message ----

>> Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 06:51:39 -0700

>> From: "Reid Kimball" <reid at rbkdesign.com>

>> Subject: [games_access] Games for All research

>> To: "IGDA Games Accessibility SIG Mailing List"

>> <games_access at igda.org>

>>

>> 0_o... no one showed up to the meeting on Tuesday morning, here's

>> what

>> I wanted to talk about.

>>

>> Some of you have heard about my suggestion to begin talking about our

>> work in a larger context of "Games for All" instead of "Games for the

>> Disabled". I suggest this because I see an increasing trend from

>> publishers and developers showing great interest in making their

>> games

>> more accessible, using the same techniques and methods we advocate.

>> However, they are applying these approaches not to the disabled, but

>> to the novice gamer who has never played before. The industry

>> wants to

>> continue this growth and the only way they believe they can do

>> that is

>> to broaden our reach to people who don't play games. Luckily, their

>> approaches also benefit those who are disabled, for the most part.

>>

>> I think our new approach when talking with developers should be to

>> highlight, that we can help them make Games for All, and as an added

>> benefit, most features will already help disabled to play their games

>> without them having to do anything extra.

>>

>> As an example, Peter Molyneux, famed game designer is working on

>> Fable

>> 2 which features a one button combat system.

>>

>> "I want as many people to play this game as humanly possible," series

>> visionary Peter Molyneux told us as he began the demo. "To do that,

>> it's all about making the experience as accessible as possible, and

>> doing that comes down to this," he said, holding up the 360

>> controller. The key to accessibility is simplifying the controls so

>> anyone can pick up and play the game, he argues. "Action-RPGs like

>> Fable are 60 percent combat," he said, "so we absolutely have to get

>> that right. If we're going to make it so that anyone can play

>> this, we

>> need to simplify things. In Fable 2, all of the combat is executed

>> with one button."

>> Source - http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3161110

>>

>> EA Sports has announced a new control mode in some of their sports

>> games called Family Play.

>>

>> "EA SPORTS Family Play on the Wii creates an incredibly accessible

>> and

>> user-friendly experience that the whole family will enjoy," said Dave

>> McCarthy, Executive Producer for the three games developed at EA

>> Canada. "While many fans love to control every piece of the action,

>> novice players can have just as much fun jumping in to throw a

>> touchdown pass, nail a three pointer or take a shot on goal. Family

>> Play brings together fans of all ages to enjoy playing EA SPORTS

>> games, and even let's them ease in to Advanced play if they desire."

>> Source - http://games.ign.com/articles/801/801917p1.html

>>

>> LucasArts, the company I work for is in the this same mindset,

>> that we

>> must find ways to make our games more accessible so that we can

>> attract people who don't normally play games.

>>

>> Because of this recent trend and our ability to position ourself as a

>> leader in this area, I'm doing some research. I believe that novice

>> players might experience the same exact control issues that disabled

>> people do. The only difference is that the novice player is able to

>> improve their skills to overcome the physical and mental barriers

>> they

>> first experience. I'd like more thoughts on this, data that proves

>> this to be true. The only thing I've found yet is this artice,

>>

>> http://primotechnology.com/issues/004/04/warrior-woman.html, in it I

>> think I've found many quotes that point to the same kinds of physical

>> AND learning disabilities as Dyspraxia, Dysgraphia.

>>

>> In the end, I'd like to produce an article for Gamasutra with quotes

>> from Peter Molyneux, Will Wright, Sid Meir, EA and anyone else I can

>> find talking about the value of making Games for All and problems and

>> solutions encountered.

>>

>> -Reid

>> _______________________________________________

>> games_access mailing list

>> games_access at igda.org

>> http://seven.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/games_access

> .......................................

> these are mediocre times and people are

> losing hope. it's hard for many people

> to believe that there are extraordinary

> things inside themselves, as well as

> others. i hope you can keep an open

> mind.

> -- "unbreakable"

> .......................................

>

>

> ------------------------------

>

> Message: 6

> Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 15:30:49 -0500 (CDT)

> From: <hinn at uiuc.edu>

> Subject: [games_access] Meeting Wednesday at 12noon NYC time

> To: IGDA Games Accessibility SIG Mailing List <games_access at igda.org>

> Message-ID: <20070731153049.ASV04201 at expms2.cites.uiuc.edu>

> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

>

> Hi everyone,

>

> There is another SIG meeting planned for tomorrow at 12 noon, New

> York City time. Please reply to the list if you are planning on

> being there.

>

> I have a doctor's appt tomorrow that I made two months ago that I

> can't change. But I don't want to cancel the meeting, as people

> have a lot that they want to talk about. Could someone kindly step

> up to lead the meeting tomorrow? And if you do, please post your

> MSN messenger ID so that people can find you!

>

> Thanks,

> Michelle

> .......................................

> these are mediocre times and people are

> losing hope. it's hard for many people

> to believe that there are extraordinary

> things inside themselves, as well as

> others. i hope you can keep an open

> mind.

> -- "unbreakable"

> .......................................

>

>

> ------------------------------

>

> Message: 7

> Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 16:32:44 -0500 (CDT)

> From: <hinn at uiuc.edu>

> Subject: [games_access] List problems

> To: IGDA Games Accessibility SIG Mailing List <games_access at igda.org>

> Message-ID: <20070731163244.ASV11097 at expms2.cites.uiuc.edu>

> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

>

> Hey everyone,

>

> Not sure what's going on but mail to the list is being rejected and/

> or disappearing only to post hours later. So if you've sent

> anything that you haven't gotten back on the list or you received a

> rejection notice for, please send it again. I think the clog is

> starting to clear up, thus you are probably starting to get

> multiple identical messages from me! :)

>

> Michelle

> .......................................

> these are mediocre times and people are

> losing hope. it's hard for many people

> to believe that there are extraordinary

> things inside themselves, as well as

> others. i hope you can keep an open

> mind.

> -- "unbreakable"

> .......................................

>

>

> ------------------------------

>

> _______________________________________________

> games_access mailing list

> games_access at igda.org

> http://seven.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/games_access

>

>

> End of games_access Digest, Vol 37, Issue 32

> ********************************************




More information about the games_access mailing list