[games_access] Games for All research

d. michelle hinn hinn at uiuc.edu
Tue Jul 31 21:00:44 EDT 2007

What I like about it is that GA can mean both "Games for All" and
"Game Accessibility." What we must be careful with is not
disassociating ourselves with game accessibility because that's why
we are here -- we all want social justice for gamers with
disabilities. But we can reframe the way we present accessibility to
the industry as a way that opens up the path for ALL gamers,
ESPECIALLY/EVEN gamers with disabilities.

I don't totally agree that "games for the disabled" has a bad
connotation in all cases and you probably only meant to refer to the
mainstream gaming industry -- as a SIG we are also concerned with,
well, games designed for the disabled such as games for the blind
that are not necessarily concerned with being accessible to those who
are not blind. Catch 22. :) So we have to remember that we DO also
support games that maybe only children with severe learning
disabilities might find fun. And we also support controllers that are
purposefully designed for those with mobility disabilities. So we
have this side of the issue to keep in mind as well. It's out of the
mainstream but it has a very valuable purpose.

I think (and Reid, please correct me if I am wrong) that Reid is
motivated by the question of "how can we get our accessibility
message out in a more palatable way to the industry that is driven by
money (not a criticism...just a reality)?" Yes, it would be great if
we could just say "gamers with disabilities" and have a packed house
at industry events like GDC. But it hasn't happened in five years.
And I know that members like Reid who have been with the SIG for much
of its entire run are getting frustrated. I'm frustrated too -- This
past GDC was extremely disappointing because we went out on the edge
in terms of our presentation styles (rather than the same old
underattended roundtable discussion). It worked "better" than the
past as far as number of people we reached but let's face it...it
wasn't even CLOSE to the turnout we had wanted and worked so hard for.

So we need to keep working on how we market "the good fight" (as
Barrie often says) to those who can't or won't hear the message "as
is." If we have to sugar coat things a bit to do it, that's what we
have to do. It's not a lie -- We already know that so many
accessibility features in all sorts of facets of technology have been
innovative solutions to all. But we need to get that across more
forcefully now.

Reid's the new committee exec for the Industry Committee (those newly
formed SIG committees we need to flesh out a bit better). So he's
coming to us from that perspective and the need to move that
committee forward. Hopefully in the next month we'll start hearing
from other committee execs (Eelke who co-runs the Research and
Development Committee has also put in his two cents here) about other
projects.

Michelle