[games_access] Hi - comment about GDC, question about Novint Falcon

lynnvm at carolina.rr.com lynnvm at carolina.rr.com
Thu Mar 15 00:20:18 EDT 2007

I hope everyone is feeling better - I'm sorry to hear about the low turnout.

I live in Charlotte, N.C., and today I managed to get a peek at the VR and
3D HCI conference that was here for the past several days.  On Monday night,
my class had to present posters depicting three prototype application
designs.  While we were setting up, I wondered why there were so many people
from the conference who managed to get up to the campus.  I wasn't prepared
for the crowds.
How did this happen?

The university hosted a reception for the conference right in our building.
They provided free bus rides for all of the conference presenters and
attendees.  Basically, the conference attendees had no choice but to come to
the university.   This got me thinking about GDC and how things could
improve to get the game access word out.

Could the group find someone to help sponsor a reception and do something in
conjunction with a university at GDC next year?

I managed to take a peek at some demos at the conference this afternoon.
Has anyone heard of Novint Falcon? http://www.novint.com/novintfalcon.htm.
This is a haptic game controller that you can play with one hand.
This quote is from the website:
 "Forget about games that rely on overly complex button combinations to
control your actions. Novint's groundbreaking touch-enabled games allow you
to realistically feel and interact as you play, letting you "become" the
character.
Pick up a basketball and feel its weight and inertia; swing a bat and feel
its impact; feel the recoil of your weapon and the direction and strength
when you are hit; or be able to feel the textures and surfaces of objects
even with your eyes closed. Grab hold of the Novint Falcon and let it take
you to an entirely new gaming dimension."
Lynn