[games_access] Accessible Adult Entertainment, Censorship and Accessibility

d. michelle hinn hinn at uiuc.edu
Wed May 9 22:21:48 EDT 2007

You aren't the only Amsterdam guy on this list (*cough* eelke *cough*
sander *cough*)...but the bigger issue is that you pose this inquiry
and then LEAVE for a sunny vacation? Unfair!

But you do raise an interesting point and I'm going to ask Brenda
Brathwaite if she knows of any parallels for sound censorship. I mean
obviously there is song lyrics censorship (on the US radio and then
those stickers they put on CDs so that kids can't buy them...in the
US). But I'm not sure what they would consider a "lyric" -- this
probably is handled by some sort of legislation but I don't know if
it refers to other mediums like games (and is a "cd" a different
medium than a "mp3"?)

Just a quick scan of some sites, I found quite a lot of protest sites
that seem to have originated as music censorship sites but now are
branching out, like this one (started as a school project for
someone):

http://www.theroc.org/updates/legislat.htm

Then even before the warning stickers was the radio and bans on radio
include lyrics in songs AND what the DJ says. Now a sound that is
sexually suggestive *might* not be banned (Howard Stern certainly has
done that many times).

Here's a HUGE rundown on wikipedia that covers the US:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Censorship_in_the_United_States

So...I honestly have no idea about this and games so I will defer to
Brenda and see what she knows about it -- I'm sure that as the "sex
in games" SIG chair, she has a lot to say. :) Will post her response
as soon as I get it!

Michelle