[games_access] E For All, and other stuff

Reid Kimball reid at rbkdesign.com
Wed May 23 10:46:17 EDT 2007

Hi, I have seen the x360 controller keypad add-on and think it's a
great move. I worry it won't be compatible with some games. I don't
think there is a way to type msgs in a game like Halo. Forget that
Halo is fast paced and people shouldn't type during play. There still
needs to be that option because as DJ pointed out, some deaf don't
speak clearly (not their fault). I would prefer games to offer a
variety of options for communicating.
1. voice chat
2. build sentences or choose complete sentences by choosing from a menu
3. text typing

Users could have the option of converting all incoming text to voice
if they choose. Unreal Tournament 2004 does this I think. Conversely,
voice to text would be great, but does need improvement and finally
straight text to text. I think that would help bridge the gap. It's
unfortunate deaf players avoid games that use voice communication. I
doubt many game devs are aware of this.

As for ADA law... I have to read up more on it, but I don't think it
covers games for entertainment purposes. We can warn devs of a future
scenario where they could one day face lawsuits, but that's not very
compelling.

-Reid