[games_access] Thinking about GDC 08's competition

AudioGames.net richard at audiogames.net
Thu May 31 18:55:12 EDT 2007

Hi,

I agree with all of the competitors advice. I would also like to add "no
game show theme next time"? A theme is good, but something cool, not corny?
Michelle, I like all of your suggestions so far. I would prefer to have a
good, 3rd party host and Raph seems like a good person for that. And I guess
fitting in his own entry is cool?

But, ok, what still seems missing is:

1) theme / title of the design challenge. Can we still use "design
challenge" in the title?
2) basically along with the theme, the target impaired audience? Our options
are:

- game for one specific game handicap
- game for a game handicap of choice
- game for one out of a selection of game handicaps (the list we make)

But maybe we can try something completely different/less obvious instead. As
I read Eelke's (excellent) Gamasutra article today, I was thinking about
handicaps caused by impairments and the same handicaps not caused by
impairments. Example: deaf gamers encounter the same problems as gamers in a
loud environment (LAN party/mother vacuming/arcade/on the train) as gamers
that play a mobile game and intentionally turn the sound off. Another one
is: gamers with parkinson encounter the same problem as gamers on a plane
with turbulence. Another one is: gamers trying to play with a DS or a PSP in
a sunny environment (as I tried in the Dominican Republic for 2 weeks)
encounter the same problem as visually impaired gamers. etc. etc. For more
examples, see Eelke's article.

Maybe we could make sort of a game-handicap list, where each problem is
linked to both a bodily impairment *and* a likely situation that a
non-impaired gamer can also encounter. So the parkinson/airplane disability
(although there's probably also the gamer with parkinson on a plane with
turbulence-disability). This is also where we could can some fun in, for
instance:

disability: game speed is to fast
people who encounter this issue: gamers with a physical impairment that does
not allow for fast reactions, hippies

disability: cannot hear game audio
people who encounter this issue: deaf gamers, grannies, gamers who visited
Ozzfest 2007

Err... ?

And I guess I still want Hugh Heffner to showcase his Playboy Mansion game
to see how well he handles the controls at his age. And I like celebrity
handicapped people: Michael J Fox showing how he plays with the DS having
Parkinson?

Just some random thought. Next please!

Ries