[games_access] GDC 2008: VERY Bad News

d. michelle hinn hinn at uiuc.edu
Tue Nov 27 16:15:40 EST 2007

Re: No hardware -- I think it's a bad idea not to bring ANY hardware.
Even just a broken (ask me about airport security) Quad Controller
gets more "what the HECK IS THAT????" comments and it starts
meaningful discussions. So we can do what we did at E for All -- very
scaled back (even more so) and just let people see what the
controllers really look like.

Michelle

>It is a good idea to try and set up a few meetings -- I'm dubious

>after what happened with the GarageGames meeting (ie, they

>disappeared after a solution was developed by you and Eelke and they

>didn't use it either...just total silence...). But perhaps we're

>better known now -- my main fear is that we are back to GDC 04, 05,

>06 where we got one/two proposals accepted (with 06 being the best

>because the workshop got accepted -- it was shot down again after

>two years of trying to get it back on schedule) and not much

>attention from devs, etc... That doesn't mean we have to accept that

>it will happen again -- that's my problem more than anyone else's,

>my fears coming through.

>So we need to make a plan of who will contact which company to set

>up those meetings -- that's going to be between the three of us. A

>lot of these meetings happen casually over drinks at the exclusive

>parties so those are the ones I can get a couple of us into (beyond

>Level 99).

>As for fliers -- that may end up coming down to the three of us.

>This might be something to put down on the funding plan for Ben,

>since publicity/SIG growth is one thing that can be covered.

>Michelle

>>While this is isn't the ideal situation it's not a total loss for the

>>group and we have to work within our resources to do the best we can.

>>If only three of us can come, then I suggest we don't bring any

>>hardware accessories. Instead, let's create flyer's and brochures

>>about the accessories. Maybe even produce videos of people using them.

>>I also recommend that because we are a smaller group this year, we try

>>to have personal meetings with game developers to talk about how we

>>can help them.

>>-Reid

>>On Nov 27, 2007 12:25 PM, d. michelle hinn <hinn at uiuc.edu> wrote:

>>> Ok...

>>> So remember when I was writing for days straight for all the GDC

>>>submissions

>>> without a whole lot of help? All submissions have been accepted now so we

>>> have some bad, bad music to face. I never did put up all the final

>>> submissions on the WIKI -- I was too tired after the deadline and

>>>it doesn't

>>> matter as much now. I'll get them up for archive reasons.

>>> Well...we've been hit by reality this year. I hate to bring this up again

>>> but I feel that I have to -- A lot of public word got out about our big

>>> post-GDC fight last year (it's archived on the net...). I'm not saying that

>>> it was any one person or any one comment -- I can't even look at

>>>the archive

>>> without beating myself up about it because I felt like I had really, really

>>> let everyone down. I got the proposals and the passes but I couldn't make

>>> our showing work in the best way possible. I couldn't be everywhere

>>> advertising our sessions. I was far from perfect, we were all far from

>>> perfect, we had big dreams but not enough people doing the work. I'm not

>>> saying everything goes back to that but we had a big year last year, had

>>> more than enough passes for everyone...and that was then. It's hard for

>>> me...well, it's very sad for me to realize that we had it so

>>>great last year

>>> and we didn't recognize it, we didn't have enough real help when push came

>>> to shove (or suitcase pulling came to suitcase pulling back and forth every

>>> day to the convention center). All the "should of" "would have"

>>>"could have"

>>> things are coming back to haunt me. I stopped flogging myself about this a

>>> while ago and thought that I had come to peace with it but I realize now

>>> that I still haven't stopped flogging myself about not being superhuman. I

>>> know. I know. Stop it.

>>> So...we only had one proposal accepted. All the acceptances are in now.

>>> Reid's [cc] poster (downgraded from a 20 minute talk but I think this will

>>> [https://www.cmpevents.com/GD08/a.asp?option=C&V=11&SessID=6456]

>>> The other two were IGDA solicited (ie, they did not go through the system)

>>> -- accessibility arcade and the SIG meet and greet. That buys us two more

>> > passes -- one is mine since I'm SIG chair and one was for Eelke

>>for the meet

>>> and greet because he helped on the proposals.

>>> I'm going to try and talk to everyone I can think of to try and get a few

>>> more passes because one of those is a roundtable and was solicited by IGDA

>>> (that was NOT in the proposal process) and it's accessibility arcade. To

>>> pull that off, we need more people. I hope that this gets us a few more

>>> passes.

>>> The booth is out of question unless we can get some SERIOUS money

>>>FAST. I am

>>> trying every angle I can think of but so far no luck. The booth SPACE costs

>>> $5100 for 10x10 booth -- add on about $3000 more for the "required" minimum

>>> of stuff we have to provide...no way. IF we get an expo booth it

>>>will get us

>>> more EXPO passes, which will restrict those with these passes to just being

>>> able to get into the expo area (no talks, etc). That's the reality.

>>> I'm sorry to have to tell you this and I'm sorry for the

>>>anger/sadness in my

>>> tone. We are not going to be able to bring everyone we want to. I

>>>cannot say

>>> when or if I'll hear if we can get more passes. I know some of you have

>>> already made flight and hotel arrangements. If you are one of these people,

>>> please check with your airlines, etc for the last date to cancel without

>>> penalty.

>>> So three passes...that's it. That's where we are at. I will let you know if

>>> the pass situation changes but for now it doesn't look great. We now have

>>> fifteen fewer passes so those of us in attendance are going to have to try

>>> and talk our asses off at GDC.

>>> Michelle