[games_access] GDC 2008: VERY Bad News

d. michelle hinn hinn at uiuc.edu
Fri Nov 30 21:03:22 EST 2007

Yeah...it's hard not to become cynical about GDC -- it's getting
bigger and bigger but we're not seeing the interest go up. And we
can't participate in the ways that we'd like -- an expo booth is
absolutely out of the question this year. Without passes, you can't
get to most of the people at GDC and without the really expensive
passes (speaker's) you can't get to the people who hold the purse
strings.

Attendance is one thing -- even at FuturePlay we didn't have the 40
people that they said signed up. But we did have around 20 people who
were very engaged. Most, though, we're not in the "industry" -- as in
commercial gaming -- as it was an academic-oriented conference. That
doesn't mean that's bad -- it's just also not getting the "industry."
But even then -- will that talk end up impacting any type of gaming,
including serious? It's hard to tell. Maybe, hopefully. But we don't
really have a way of knowing unless people say "I put X in my game
because I heard a talk three years ago that discussed it."

I guess I'm a bit cynical about talks at smaller venues -- what is
"success" at any conference? The transient feeling of success
immediately after a talk? That can be a misleading predictor. GDC is
GDC not just because of the sessions but because you gain access to a
LOT of people. FuturePlay had about 170 attendees whereas GDC had way
over 10,000 attendees -- it's the "big fish/little pond - little
fish/big pond" scenario. We have to approach every conference with
the realization that we're about to enter a little or big pond (and
hopefully at one of those we'll be the big fish?) and adjust our
expectations and how we feel about our presence afterwards. We just
are not going to see a large turnout at any of our sessions at GDC.
That seems to be bordering on becoming a fact. So while the talks get
us into the conference, the real impact is in the connections we can
make outside the talks.

But while I caution against false feelings of success after smaller
conferences...let's also remember the smaller GDCs -- Austin,
Leipzig, China, etc. Austin was very successful and resulted in a lot
of contacts and new members, inquiries about our talk in the weeks
after, etc. That is one way to feel that word is getting out. And as
we keep getting the word out we'll start seeing solutions that
different members are working on being implemented -- because in the
end, if no one knows about it because there's no conference talk, no
one-on-one networking, no press coverage...the solutions will just
sit there unused. So maybe we don't put as much into the BIG GDC (San
Fran) and focus on getting more of us out to the smaller, regional
ones? But I think it would be a mistake to ignore the biggest
developers conference in the world! Even if they try to ignore
us...yet, we're still in it! We just have to remember that we're
there to fight versus feel sorry for ourselves if we only get 2
people in a conference room but we connect with 100 a piece.

Michelle