[games_access] same proposal in multiple tracks

Eelke Folmer eelke.folmer at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 01:29:04 EDT 2007

Yeah but god of war II has sold a gazillion copies and has naughty
scenes in it. ;-)

I guess with game accessibility we do have a little bit more credit at
the GDC on getting our proposals accepted, but we do need to get more
people at our meetings and we actually need to make it this year's
goal to affect at least one or more games that are currently under
development (like Reid/Me did with Killzone 2).

We only have a limited amount of people available so we should spend
our resources wisely. If hardly anyone comes to our events like last
year we should seriously consider alternative ways of reaching out to
the community. Having an X amount of talks is good to get us in. But
giving a talk takes preparation and that time can also be spent in
different ways. Getting a booth is already an improvement, and I
volunteer to be there as much as possible. But if there are other
booths with lots of people playing fancy cool new games, well then I
think that is also an opportunity for us to go out there to hand out
those little flyers with 10 little accessibility tips and just talk
with people about disabilities. That's why we need those shirts too!
(Accessibility Taskforce). Its sad but true but with regard to
"sexiness" we cannot compete with any fancy game title out there.
Fortunately only one person can play at a time at such booths so the
other 50 bystanders could be ready to listen to us.

just my 2 cents.....

cheers Eelke

On 9/30/07, d. michelle hinn <hinn at uiuc.edu> wrote:

> Basically we should not turn in any identical talks -- but the same
> idea --  [cc] -- can be presented to different audiences in different
> ways because there are a lot of facets of [cc]. It's no different
> than seeing 30 talks on the schedule about God of War II broken up
> into parts depending on the audience. :)

Eelke Folmer                           Assistant Professor
Department of CS&E/171
University of Nevada              Reno, Nevada 89557
Game interaction design        www.helpyouplay.com