[games_access] same proposal in multiple tracks

Eelke Folmer eelke.folmer at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 02:53:28 EDT 2007

Sweet !

Cool so can I help organize /coordinate the accessibility task force
and use my physical appearance to intimidate game developers and get
their asses at our talks?

What we need:
- cool shirts
- if only we had booth babes/hunks to help us.
- brief concise flyers with 10 little nuggets of knowledge that can be
pinned to a game developers cubicle and provide immediate inspiration
on how to improve his or her game. Draft topics list (lets vote on
what should be on here & this is in no way a promotion of my work I
suggest we keep the number of "adds' to a minimum maybe just a link to
the igda / accessibility sig so they can find the rest from there):
  1. Closed captions
  2. Customizable controls
  3. Slow
  4. Assists
  5. x
  6. x
  7. x
  8. x
  9.x
10. x

cheers Eelke

On 9/30/07, d. michelle hinn <hinn at uiuc.edu> wrote:
> >Yeah but god of war II has sold a gazillion copies and has naughty
> >scenes in it. ;-)
>
> Heh. Yeah. :)
>
> >I guess with game accessibility we do have a little bit more credit at
> >the GDC on getting our proposals accepted
>
> Yeah, without a doubt we are going to need to network like hell,
> present a 1-2 "what else we are doing" at every talk, push the booth,
> make MANY handouts about our sessions+booth, etc. No doubt. And it
> would hurt to send personal invites to our sessions via email to as
> many people as we can think of that we can get in touch with.
>
> >>, but we do need to get more
> >>people at our meetings and we actually need to make it this year's
> >goal to affect at least one or more games that are currently under
> >development (like Reid/Me did with Killzone 2).
>
> Without a doubt that always needs to be our goal. At GDC hopefully we
> can lock in on some additional titles to go after and make a plan of
> attack. It was very encouraging to have an attentive, interested, and
> room capacity audience in Austin. The same happened at Montreal. So
> the topic can get butts in the seats...we just need to get the butts
> of the attendees at GDC in the chairs at OUR talks!
>

> >We only have a limited amount of people available so we should spend
> >our resources wisely. If hardly anyone comes to our events like last
> >year we should seriously consider alternative ways of reaching out to
> >the community. Having an X amount of talks is good to get us in. But
> >giving a talk takes preparation and that time can also be spent in
> >different ways. Getting a booth is already an improvement, and I
> >volunteer to be there as much as possible. But if there are other
> >booths with lots of people playing fancy cool new games, well then I
> >think that is also an opportunity for us to go out there to hand out
> >those little flyers with 10 little accessibility tips and just talk
> >with people about disabilities. That's why we need those shirts too!
> >(Accessibility Taskforce). Its sad but true but with regard to
> >"sexiness" we cannot compete with any fancy game title out there.
> >Fortunately only one person can play at a time at such booths so the
> >other 50 bystanders could be ready to listen to us.
>
> We have more than we think -- check the wiki -- more names are
> appearing. :) And I can get some of my students to come and help with
> the expo booth as needed. Obviously some shift making will have to be
> planned out. I think if we plan the sessions before we GET to San
> Fran, we'll be better prepared to spend more time networking, passing
> out fliers, and introducing GA to every single person we can find
> (maybe we can make it into a game like a scavenger hunt? hehe.
>
> As for the shirts...I have something I'm working on that -- it could
> let us have enough to pass out. :)
>
> I agree -- we are limited in numbers. But if we make our plan for
> attack ahead of time and stick to it, we can no doubt do it!

> [...]

Eelke Folmer                           Assistant Professor
Department of CS&E/171
University of Nevada              Reno, Nevada 89557
Game interaction design        www.helpyouplay.com