[games_access] Top 10 list

Eelke Folmer eelke.folmer at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 18:38:13 EDT 2007

Hi Barrie,

That list looks pretty good to me. Only bullet 3 is kind of something
of the past. I see more and more manuel less games since its much
easier and accessible to provide in- game feedback e.g a tutorial
agent etc. I'm not against this format but would it be an idea to
relate these requirements to actual accessibility problems? E.g. why
is it important to have re-mappable controls? a picture of a quad
controller or a one button might help visualize the actual
accessibility problem rather than have a game designer wonder about
why that requirement needs to be implemented. We could actually go for
2 lists of 5 with a little bit more elaboration on the actual
problems. We could center it around our ghosts but maybe some others
have some good ideas?

cheers Eelke

On 10/1/07, Barrie Ellis <barrie.ellis at oneswitch.org.uk> wrote:
> Top 10 list on the GASIG wiki is here:
> http://www.igda.org/wiki/Top_Ten
>
> Most up to date version here: http://tim.thechases.com/top10_2.pdf
>   1.. allow all controls (mouse, keyboard, gamepad) to be remapped
>   2.. add closed-captioning for all dialog and important sound-effects
>   3.. provide documentation in an accessible format (HTML or plain-text)
>   4.. provide assist modes (auto-targeting, training options, etc)
>   5.. provide a broad range of difficulty levels from incredibly simple to
> difficult
>   6.. make interface fonts scalable
>   7.. allow for high-contrast color schemes
>   8.. add audio tags to all significant elements (actors, doors, items,
> resulting actions, etc) in true spatial 3D
>   9.. allow for a varied range of control over play-speed
>   10.. announce accessibility features on packaging
> Still looks good to me - with personal one-switch wish lists being 1, 4, 5,
> 9 and 10. I think there should be inclusion of an alternative reduced
> controls option, such as with Electronic Arts Wii Madden game:
> http://switchgaming.blogspot.com/2007/07/well-done-electronic-arts.html -
> this does tie up with section 4, but I think we need to highlight this need.
>
> Barrie
> www.OneSwitch.org.uk

Eelke Folmer                           Assistant Professor
Department of CS&E/171
University of Nevada              Reno, Nevada 89557
Game interaction design        www.helpyouplay.com