[games_access] E for All and GDC booths

Eelke Folmer eelke.folmer at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 04:03:21 EDT 2007

Hey michele!

I just did my workout! so I'd be glad to help you carry stuff!
Did you pay the $1200 yourself???? that's crazy.
we should all chip in for those costs.

cheers eelke

On 10/10/07, d. michelle hinn <hinn at uiuc.edu> wrote:
> The $1200 is just not the power -- that's way cheaper than I though.
> it's the carpet requirement, etc and all the other little details
> that add up to $1200. I had twenty forms to fill out and price them
> down. I'll explain more tomorrow when I'm not faxing forms like
> crazy. If I could even get half of the money I'd be happy....well,
> happier ;)
>
> Keep in mind...they gave us huge discounts because we are non
> profit...I can't even imagine people how much, say, Microsoft is
> paying...
>
> Also, the stuff we haul...we get to be allowed to haul what ONE
> PERSON can CARRY TO THE BOOTH each day...and Eelke...We have giant
> wheeled suitcases shoulder bags and more and you are a tall tall guy.
> :) The union has let us have a lot of leeway thank goodness. The
> table was one of the more pricey items...but the biggest thing that
> was necessary!!!

> >Hmmmm.....
> >
> >It sounds like some crazy mafia scheme imposed by Tony Soprano himself ;-)
> >
> >what if we don't use any powerplugs at all? One of my friend had a
> >booth at that same conference center and he just brought laptops and
> >didn't use anything that needed to be "hauled" (the union has to do
> >that). We can all bring laptops and charge them anywhere. 1200 bucks
> >is too much to pay for a non profit organisation like us.
> >
> >cheers Eelke
> >

> >On 10/10/07, Thomas Westin <thomas at pininteractive.com> wrote:
> >>  Hi Michelle,
> >>
> >>  ouch, 1200 dollars...
> >>
> >>  I have another idea:
> >>
> >>  Why don't ask for donations in the booth? Put a note in the booth and
> >>  explain why
> >>
> >>  And / or charge 10 USD for the SIG CD in the booth? Each CD with a
> >>  simple cover and label cost perhaps 1 USD in direct costs, giving you
> >>  9 USD back.  People could also pay more for it if they wish of
> >>  course. I think a 100 CDs is reasonable to sell, giving you most of
> >>  it back.
> >>
> >>  Or give the CD as a bonus to those who donate 10 USD or more
> >>
> >>  /Thomas
> >>

> >>  10 okt 2007 kl. 19.14 skrev d. michelle hinn:
> >>
> >>  > Yep -- we should definitely put a link to that on the wiki and on
> >>  > the blog -- great idea.
> >>  >
> >>  > To give you all an idea of how much cost we are at...it's $1200
> >>  > (they gave us half off for the cause and the miscommunication/my
> >>  > misunderstanding of how these things work...so that's better than
> >>  > $1200. This is coming out of my pocket.
> >>  >
> >>  > Now to talk to the electrician union...
> >>  >
> >>  > Michelle
> >>  >
> >>  >> Are we okay to get a PayPal donate button for funds? If so - it
> >>  >> would be good to get this on the blog and main web-page pdq.
> >>  >>
> >>  >> I can put a bit towards the show too.
> [...]

Eelke Folmer                           Assistant Professor
Department of CS&E/171
University of Nevada              Reno, Nevada 89557
Game interaction design        www.helpyouplay.com