[games_access] E for All and GDC booths - Money issues

d. michelle hinn hinn at uiuc.edu
Fri Oct 12 12:15:24 EDT 2007

That's interesting to know about GarageGames -- and a shame. Sounds
like they are a company that isn't even committed to devs in general.
I hope that there's a way to advertise and promote using the [cc]
tool for the engine that we can do that gets this out to devs who
want to use it despite Garage not including it into their engine - if
that's possible. I know we had gone into this thinking that our
solutions would be put into future versions of the Torque Engine.
Seems like that is not going to happen!

Just as a reminder: I'd like to encourage anyone that has any history
with or concerns with a company's commitment to please feel free to
speak up. I don't always know the history of every company we try to
work with. Eelke might have created his [cc] work for them regardless
but I'm sure if there was more information about their history he
might have put the energy into another project. The only experience I
had with them was with the DonationCoder.com contest where they were
very generous with donating their tools for a contest for accessible
games and prior to GDC (and at GDC) seemed to be totally on board
with the accessibility message. So I had no basis for concern going
into a partnership with them. So even if it's in person or off-list
that you feel more comfortable raising concern, please do. We have
limited resources and I feel very bad that Eelke and Reid spent the
time that they did on this. Of course perhaps what they learned will
be able to be applied to another company's product -- things aren't
always completely moot. But now we have to shop it around a bit.
Certainly a red flag with them was when the promised licenses for the
Engine never came through, followed by the complete silence on their
end even when we had demos to show them. By then it was too late.

So lessons learned...we always have lessons to be learned, eh? :) I
can tell you this for sure -- I have been SCHOOLED in how expos and
conventions work. I thought we would just be worrying about what to
bring and what to write in fliers (if ANYONE has ideas here, please
speak up -- I'm writing something now for Richard and I can go as
late as Monday to get this to the printer with a penalty for a rush
job. Richard, however, might not have that time. I hope he does but
obviously everyone has lives that they put on hold or delay for
things like SIG emergencies. I collapsed asleep at 10pm last night --
my body just said ENOUGH! So Richard -- we all appreciate the time
you can put into the flier design and if you don't have the time,
please send me the files (not sure if you did the template in
photoshop or not) so I can edit them.

I do have some Nintendo contacts and what Eitan and I are both hoping
to do is meet with some reps (not just booth babes -- btw, I actually
have an order form for booth babes in my E for All kit -- they are
EXPENSIVE) at E for All. So E for All will be a show where we not
only show off our stuff but try and make as many contacts as possible
for future sponsors.

As for personal donations -- Barrie and Mark were both setting up
donation opportunities for the SIG website and on their own websites.
The SIG website is probably going to get more dev attention while
OneSwitch and AbleGamers will probably get more consumer attention. I
really, really want to thank both of them for doing this (and an
aside -- Mark is new to our SIG but he's really helped us out. Please
welcome him (if you haven't already) with open arms -- all of us are
VITAL to the cause. I know most of us have gotten to know Barrie more
because he's been with us for a long time but take some time and get
to know Mark as well. Both of them have literally saved my butt
during this whole E for All prep).

So ANY amount of donation is appreciated. Seriously. Anything would
be great. Barrie and Mark will be giving me their info on how to
paypal, etc donations. This hasn't put me into financial crisis but
it did take two month's paychecks to cover it (thank goodness for
credit cards and savings accounts and a boyfriend who makes a lot
more money than I do who can cover the rent and utilities!). So it
would be nice to even get a part of the money back somehow. I worked
a lot of deals and did get half off of a lot of things (that number
would have been a lot higher if I hadn't). I am amazed at the
generosity of the vendors -- I admit...I was jaded going in. But we
actually got some labor costs waived and got some of the stuff at
cost versus mark up. I can provide this (once I'm done) to anyone who
asks -- I'd rather not post it on the wiki because I think that has
the potential to get E for All and their vendors in trouble if others
see the discounts we've received). If we find ourselves with a lot
more money in donations than we need to cover the debt, this will be
applied to the GDC expo.

I'm working up a budget breakdown now for anyone that's interested in
the hidden costs of a consumer show or an expo (I know a few of you
have asked so that you can bring this to your companies, etc). I will
try to advertise anything that comes through before the show but if
that doesn't happen then we can always add a "supporters of the SIG
include..." at the GDC Expo Booth and/or talks.

Ok...I'll stop rambling now. :D

Michelle