[games_access] Please HELP! E For All Flier

d. michelle hinn hinn at uiuc.edu
Sat Oct 13 12:52:41 EDT 2007

Ok since we have some controversy (on and off list) over including
the percentages on the flier, lets leave the stats off the flier
since it something we can't say for sure how we can back up. We have
talked about this and run stats before but I'm not finding any
formulae we used so let's not risk it given then time. I know we have
them but perhaps it's not as important for right now (that and we'd
probably need a subscript explanation of how the numbers were arrived
at or something like "based on the UN report from 2006...."). Unless
someone has even a US estimate with a quick explanation (US census
says... - or - according to the latest US census...). I'll work on
that so that if it gets left off the flier we have something to say
when asked this question (and we will be asked this question). I
think 10% is closer to the official estimate but that also is
complicated by those who do not claim to have a disability (I know
when the census workers came to my apartment -- they do that randomly
-- I did not add that I had a disability). A lot of people who have
things like dyslexia may not  say that they have a disability -- I
based my decision on the fact that I do not apply for disability tags
for my car, I have no applied for disability benefits, etc, because I
know that funds are limited and these are things that I don't need
and would feel selfish asking for. The census isn't specific enough
when they ask this question and I did talk to the census takers and
they didn't have an answer as to what I should put down because that
would be leading me. In 2000 I chose not to include myself in their
stats -- and I imagine that I'm not alone. Someone with an auditory
disability that is not total hearing loss may also make the same
choice. And so forth.

We were definitely given the booth for our work on game accessibility
for gamers with disabilities so I think you are right -- perhaps the
"games for all" message is better for the game dev audience than the
game consumer audience. We have different battles there -- the rude
comments on messages boards by (I hope) uninformed teens telling the
disabled to "go away" is one such example.

Anyone have any thoughts about what to put there instead that will
grab attention? Richard's artwork is so "spot on" and we need some
opening text to accompany it. And we need it ASAP!

Please help? I need to run thousands of these through the printer as
soon as possible.

Also -- I have a lot of people like David Perry and others who are
attending and speaking at E for All who sent me facebook messages in
reply to my invite who are planning to stop by. I hope that they do.
So we have some big name devs who might take a few minutes to see
what we're up to and hopefully help spread the word. David and his
crew already know Robert from his work on the Top Secret project
(Robert -- they brought your name up, not me!) and I've met them as
well. But this is our chance to really get the chance at a quick
one-on-one to see our display -- they are so busy at GDC, etc but
this booth allows them to get a quick sense of things.

Also, part two -- we have the media. I'm getting a lot of requests
for more info and my donation (in addition to the rest of the money
for E for All) was a press package by the group that is hammering the
press (they gave us a fine discount as well).

So please, please, please help us with your ideas for this flier as
soon as you get this message! It's a small thing to ask but something
that is GREATLY important.

Thanks in advance everyone!
Michelle