[games_access] from Robert update top-secret project. Sour news.

Robert Florio arthit73 at cablespeed.com
Mon Oct 22 17:49:35 EDT 2007

I'm sad to say that most likely I will no longer be part of the project
top-secret that David Perry, earthworm Jim shiny entertainment David Perry,
invited me to and 30,000 people signed up to create a game for.

A long story short everybody got too greedy, I tried to give them a risk
analysis save time, pressure, and tried to clarify my statements that the
handful of people left on the project compared to 30,000 people was not fair
to the community or the type of development team we have to go for a
three-year project.

Basically slammed the door in my face they are all getting too greedy,
calling it project Titanic because I've pointed out the icebergs coming
they're just going to wait until they see them to finally redesigned to
scale back which is needed now complete scale back of what we have keeping
it but no one wanted to do that instead full fledged large-scale.

So I no longer can be part of the project finishing school graduating
December 13 to concentrate on that first.  Basically they told me to go
screw myself when I can't get ahold of any of the people on the advisory
board, volunteers, basically being ignored which is a darn frustrating.

After all that time devoting seven almost 8 months of my time getting really
psyched up about the game design accessible part and then trying to point
out all of our pitfalls and gave them a risk analysis design around risks
and our resources which were very limited, our people, they just didn't want
to see the icebergs coming and I cannot be on a project that has no end in
sight.

Basically developers were starting to come in and say the game is way too
big for any developer to work on so I propose instead of developing this use
greedy game which is supposed to be casual gamer target, let's scale it back
now and create something we know developers can work with instead of waiting
for them to give us their solutions to what we should cut back on let's just
do it now.  Because the project from the start never designed around risks
which was the time needed to devote, the amount of people which of 90% of
them more have dropped off, the timeline, and keeping it manageable.  So
screw them I've learned a lot about the game industry through this
experience unfortunately I'd like to start changing some of the things I
found out about it because I certainly wouldn't operate my team or with
employees the way David Perry and his right hand man Russell have allow the
project to turn into.

I brought up this opinion to David also basically got no response trying to
tell him these people are being treated like slaves and it's hard and wrong
and that's why everyone dropped off.  Everything I've learned about game
design in school for the past four years is completely ignored.  The members
tried to say it's a new kind of development team so the lessons in books
can't be followed with which is a bunch of crap.  If they would have
followed it from the beginning they would have designed around this risk and
we would have a developing document in production already but looks like
that's not happening soon.

Anyways anyone wants to hear more about this news let me know.  It's sad I
thought I'd be there until the end and it's sad for the project and other
people I've talked about the same reasons who had to drop out for these
reasons.  Keep in mind nobody is getting paid and the advisory board is
working 30 to 40 hours a week which is way too much for anyone.  So acclaim
found their slaves.  Congratulations for them.

Robert