[games_access] GDC Austin -- Michelle and Richard

Eelke Folmer eelke.folmer at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 02:04:45 EDT 2007

Hi,

I checked out schedule. Sorry I missed the msn chats about futureplay
but you guys did a good job! The schedule looks very good. I hope I
can contribute to point 8, and maybe point 6 (only if there is room,
maybe our one button HL2 mod would be nice).

For section 8 I can offer to prepare a 25 minute lecture (or longer )
on interaction design  pattern and how they form a tool for game
developers to describe and share design knowledge.

I'd be interested to contribute to no 10 too. I can compile a few
slides on open issues with regard to research that might allow some
brainstorming. We could even include: how can we market accessibility
more since I expect mostly researchers there.

Cheers Eelke

On 9/3/07, Kevin J. Bierre <kjb at it.rit.edu> wrote:
> Eelke,
>
> I'm planning to go to FuturePlay. I think Michelle and Dimitris are also planning to attend.
>
> There's a rough cut at a tutorial schedule out on the Wiki under the SIG projects. We're looking for some feedback.
>
> You're right about it being mostly academics. In addition to pushing research, we could also push getting accessibility into design and implementation courses.
>
>                                         Kevin

> >hey Michelle,
> >
> >I'm sorry to hear your kidneys are giving you trouble again. Let me
> >know if I can do anything. I think discussing over the email works
> >pretty well. We are all so dispersed over the planet that it's just
> >hard to coordinate online meetings.
> >
> >There are a few things that need to be discussed right?
> >
> >Futureplay and E for all are coming up.
> >
> >1) E for all doesn't require us to do a presentation but we probably
> >should coordinate our efforts (who's coming anyway?) I planned on
> >bringing 2/3 laptops with running some of my stuff (including the one
> >button HL2, voice client for secondlife etc).
> >
> >2) Futureplay: Who is going? We should probably start coordinating our
> >tutorial and maybe we can discuss the following questions:
> >2.1) Who's our audience? from last year it's mostly academic so i
> >think we should also target our tutorial to academics with a strong
> >focus on research questions / directions.
> >2.2) Who is going? Me you? who else?
> >2.3) what are we going to talk about? ......
> >
> >Cheers Eelke
> >

> >Cheers Eelke
> >

> >On 8/31/07, hinn at uiuc.edu <hinn at uiuc.edu> wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> Richard and I were asked to give a talk on game accessibility "when audio IS the way you play the game" and that's this next week. As for this past week...I was in hospital wednesday until about now with no email access...but I was so sick i didn't
> >care. damn kidneys. anyway no meetings this next week unless one of the committee chairs would like to run a meeting on the concerns/projects/etc of their committee  -- I'll let them announce that on their own.
> >>
> >> When I return we'll give one more stab a figuring out a monthly meeting sched...part 78! :D
> >>
> >> Michelle
> >> these are mediocre times and people are
> >> losing hope. it's hard for many people
> >> to believe that there are extraordinary
> >> things inside themselves, as well as
> >> others. i hope you can keep an open
> >> mind.
> >>  -- "unbreakable"
> >>

> >--
>

> Kevin Bierre,  Associate Professor                                                       (kjb at it.rit.edu)
> Information Technology,  Rochester Institute of Technology                585-475-5358
> 102 Lomb Memorial Drive                                                                       Bldg 70-2637
> Rochester, NY 14623

Eelke Folmer                           Assistant Professor
Department of CS&E/171
University of Nevada              Reno, Nevada 89557
Game interaction design        www.helpyouplay.com