[games_access] Closed Caption Format

John Bannick jbannick at 7128.com
Sat Apr 26 15:58:30 EDT 2008

Reid,

What visual clues do I use to indicate sounds in CC?
Right now I'm using brackets.

For example, a kids game I'm currently coding says the name of an animal,
then plays its sound.
I want to distinguish the sound from the name.
So I'm currently sending our CC display the string:

Squirrel <Chitter>

Similarly, a story game I'm working on has dialog and incidental sounds.
I'm currently sending our CC display strings like:

Detective: Where were you on the night of the twenty-third? Mr. Pernicious:
<gasp> Why, that is a personal matter, Detective!

I suspect that there is no universal standard.
However, you would know if there are general user expectations on this.
And if they are specific by culture: American, British, etc.

Thanks,

John Bannick
7-128 Software