[games_access] Serious Games and Game Accessibility

d. michelle hinn hinn at uiuc.edu
Mon Aug 4 15:36:20 EDT 2008

Accessibility encompasses so many areas. In
"serious games" (like games for learning) many
countries require that these be made accessible
for students with disabilities. In "games for
health" we could be talking about many different
things such as rehabilitation as well as exercise
but are also games (thus the hand held DDR pads
from a few years ago). Most of the SIG is
concerned with commercial games because they are
used mostly as a leisure activity (some teachers
use them in school however) and there are so many
barriers to access it's mind boggling.

I know the Serious Games folks -- they invite us
to talk at their conferences. I could talk to the
people I know there about the taxonomy. The thing
that I think there might be an understanding is
that "serious games" do not mean that they tackle
only serious items such as accessibility.
Accessibility is serious in every format and
genre of game -- "serious" or "pure entertainment.

Michelle