[games_access] GDC -- Final Info on Phase One -- New!

d. michelle hinn hinn at uiuc.edu
Sun Aug 10 17:53:39 EDT 2008

Hi everyone,

I'm now getting the "phase 1" proposals in final order for GDC 2009.
The submission process is a LOT different than it's been in the past
(pasted below). We used to just wait until November and just received
a "sorry your proposal was not accepted" or a "congrats your proposal
was accepted" with no other explanation. Not this year...

So our proposal work is not yet done (or at least we hope not...see
next paragraph...)

We will know very quickly if our proposals are rejected outright or
conditionally accepted -- we will then need to resubmit the
conditionally accepted proposals with the LONG version of the talks
(I was wondering where that 4000-5000 word bit went!). We'll need to
turn that around before November.

After that, it will go back in review and we'll wait to hear whether
or not we are officially accepted or rejected -- I've been told that
we'll hear this sometime in November but possibly as late as December.

So...given that GDC is from Feb 18-22, 2009 that does not leave
people a whole lot of time to get travel arrangements, hotel, etc.
and, yeah, that kind of sucks. So make sure your travel planning is
flexible and that you can cancel plans if needed.

Obviously this new system is good and bad. It's good because it will
force all presenters to start planning their sessions well ahead of
time and thus we'll have better sessions this year (hopefully!). It's
also the first time we have EVER had the chance to receive feedback
on our proposals. But...It's bad because we cannot submit the defense
of our proposals (the 5000 word bit from the past) until it's been
accepted through the open submission cycle. We are limited to a 400
word description. Any proposal that is rejected during this first
phase...that's that. There is no other recourse. We might get one of
the VERY few IGDA "second chance" slots but there are no guarantees.

As soon as I hear back about the submissions, I will let everyone
know so that we can (hopefully, finger's crossed, etc) start
attacking the resubmissions.

Sooo...good luck to us! Special thanks to Thomas and Kevin for their
editing work! Now we wait and hope we get to go through this again in
another month! :)

Michelle

----

PHASE ONE (July 7th - August 11th, 2008)
Initial Open Submission Cycle

This is what we are finishing now

PHASE TWO (August 11th - early September 2008)
First Review and Resubmit Cycle

     * Advisory Board reviews submissions
     * Submitters are notified of their status: Declined or
Conditionally Accepted
     * Submitters of Conditionally Accepted talks will be required at
this time to prepare a largely complete presentation plan (which
includes the presentation materials such as PPT slides) for Phase
Three review*

       *Note: You are not a fully accepted speaker until your
presentation plan is reviewed and approved by the advisory board

PHASE THREE (November 2008)
Final Review Cycle

     * Advisory Board reviews largely complete presentation plans, PPT
slides, etc.
     * Submitters are notified of their final status: Declined or Accepted
     * Submitters who miss the deadline to submit their presentation
plans for review will be automatically declined; exceptions will not
be made
     * Submitters who sent in their presentation plans by the deadline
but were not accepted to speak will receive a discount on a
conference pass