[games_access] Blizzard, WoW, and Accessibility Concerns

d. michelle hinn hinn at uiuc.edu
Wed Feb 13 11:09:18 EST 2008

Hi,

I tend to agree with Jonathan on this one -- that going the W3C route
is one that might not work well with regard to gaming. With games we
are not just dealing with access standards...we also need to ensure
that what is accessible is also "fun." We're also talking about
vastly different architecture that companies adopt -- there is no
"common language" that all games use (unlike HTML, etc). As Jonathan
said -- now we have the consumer voice that we are just starting to
get heard by industry. We don't want to lose this voice by taking a
radical shift toward moving to a consortium that might be too much of
a square peg in a round hole when it comes to talking about
entertainment applications. With regard to the film industry (yeah,
this example again) there is STILL no agreement as to what MUST be
done in movie theatres and we still have the bulk of theatres not
complying with what the US has said DOES fall under the Americans
with Disabilities act after 7 years of the decision that captioning
of sort must happen in theatres as requested.

Also...I really can't see moving toward a consortium resulting in the
fame and money in this industry -- has this come true for anyone in
the web industry? I can think of one or two people who have benefited
fame-wise but I have no idea of their net worth. A few people on my
campus are on different W3C WGs and are probably some of the lowest
earning academics at the university. Maybe that's different in parts
of Europe -- I just know it's a "don't quit your day job" thing in
the US. ;)

We're in a bit of a lucky spot at the moment where it's the STORIES
of the users that are affecting the CEO's, etc in paying attention to
us -- moving to a consortium seems like a move that is one mired in
policy and moves us away from being a group that recognizes that each
company has their own creative values. I don't know -- just some
morning thoughts about starting up a consortium.

Michelle