[games_access] Blizzard, WoW, and Accessibility Concerns

Thomas Westin thomas at pininteractive.com
Thu Feb 14 18:12:31 EST 2008

Hello Michelle

you know you have my deepest respect for all the work you put into
the SIG and I think it's great what you and Ben has done on the
financial side

I don't want to splinter the group - rather I would see the consortium
thing as an extension to the SIG, a strong partner from which both the
SIG members and the companies can win

Yes I also realise it's a long road before we can get a consortium
become real, but talking to those executives we have contact with is a
good way to plant some seeds for this. I'm not saying we should focus
on this now as a SIG but I'm trying to live up to my part of the
Industry committee, I have so far done efforts with Adobe with the
article I mentioned. Don't worry, although I may sound enthusiastic
I'm also careful about bandwidth as you put it; we must push forward
slowly - hey it's been five years soon and we're still around
pushing :) but setting the goal high helps reaching the moon.

The UML thing (GAIM) is in itself independent of the final
implementation; i.e it's not necessary (for me, at this point) to get
the console companies to have final implementation code; rather they
can choose to use the GAIM (when it's released in a first, public
version) to generate code which they can and must adapt to their
specific platforms - unless of course we get direct access to their
development platform and can code it ourselves - which is hard without
big money or deep, established contacts with the companies involved -
which would also be a benefit from a consortium

Anyhow, I'll stop my dreaming now and get back to work... or sleep

Sweet dreams :)

/Thomas

On 14 feb 2008, at 23.40, d. michelle hinn wrote:

> [...]

> Perhaps I haven't been as clear as I could have been -- we're now

> starting to see money coming in that CAN support projects like this

> AND pay people. Why splinter the group right now into two separate

> groups when we've finally JUST evolved into a more independent group?

> Also, we really only have two CEO/COOs attention right now so I

> think we may be jumping the gun a bit here. :) And at this point

> it's end user reports and reactions that is the ONLY thing that is

> getting them into the accessibility group. So I guess I see the

> support of those in positions of power for something that is pro-

> active as a "not-quote-ready-for-prime-time" idea. I mean, yeah, we

> see that it makes sense for companies to go this route but then

> every time we present the idea of doing things BEFORE it becomes a

> "panic reaction" (like in the WoW case) we hear "yeah, but that's

> going to cost money..." The complaints and talk of REAL lawsuits

> from individual players (not the SIG) is what's making people start

> to jump.

> The UML issue is a whole other thing -- so far the big three console

> companies don't even have anything that's universal and I don't yet

> see them giving on that (if ever).

> I'm not saying that a consortium/group/whatever is a totally bad

> idea -- not at all. It's just a question of -- is this really the

> right time to go down that route independent from the SIG when we've

> just started getting *some* financial support and *some* interest

> from higher ups. We still don't have companies knocking down our

> door but we are now a group that is much more independent than it's

> ever been. I guess I'm thinking that we may shoot ourselves in the

> foot by spinning off something else. And I also am not sure how a

> new group would have a whole bunch of money from the start?

> At the end of the day -- we're still a group that's about 10 people

> strong, with only about 4-5 people at the best of times active at

> any one time. So we have to keep that reality in mind. I guess I'm

> not quite sure where the bandwidth is going to come from?

> Just some thoughts...

> Michelle

>> Hello again,

>> just adding a couple of things:

>> On 14 feb 2008, at 09.36, Thomas Westin wrote:

>>> With games we are not just dealing with access standards...we also

>>> need to ensure that what is accessible is also "fun."

>> Just to make clear what I meant so you don't get me wrong: I'm

>> certain you didn't mean that the game industry are unaware of the

>> fun factor, but rather that implementing accessibility takes

>> greater care about not spoiling the content of the game, i.e making

>> it too easy etc. However, that's just part of the challenge, and

>> why we need a financially strong organisation too, which the SIG is

>> not.

>>> We're also talking about vastly different architecture that

>>> companies adopt -- there is no "common language" that all games

>>> use (unlike HTML, etc)

>> Yes I agree, but my efforts with the GAIM is addressing exactly

>> this problem through UML. UML is a common denominator where you can

>> design and code visually and then generate solutions for different

>> languages and architectures. I know, it takes a _lot_ of work to

>> make this work completely automagically, cross-platforms etc,

>> perhaps it never will, but I think it can help a lot in this process.

>> /Thomas

>> On 14 feb 2008, at 09.36, Thomas Westin wrote:

>>> Hi,

>>> yes the rich and famous comment was just me dreaming :)

>>> But I don't quite follow about the rest. I'm certain Blizzard and

>>> others are well aware of the importance of fun? And having a

>>> consortium is not stopping us from involving end-users. When I

>>> made the comparison with W3C I didn't intend us to copy their

>>> organisation, just referred to it as a concept for industry

>>> collaboration.