[games_access] Blizzard, WoW, and Accessibility Concerns

Thomas Westin thomas at pininteractive.com
Thu Feb 14 03:51:43 EST 2008

Hello again,

just adding a couple of things:

On 14 feb 2008, at 09.36, Thomas Westin wrote:

> With games we are not just dealing with access standards...we also
> need to ensure that what is accessible is also "fun."
Just to make clear what I meant so you don't get me wrong: I'm certain
you didn't mean that the game industry are unaware of the fun factor,
but rather that implementing accessibility takes greater care about
not spoiling the content of the game, i.e making it too easy etc.
However, that's just part of the challenge, and why we need a
financially strong organisation too, which the SIG is not.

> We're also talking about vastly different architecture that
> companies adopt -- there is no "common language" that all games use
> (unlike HTML, etc)
Yes I agree, but my efforts with the GAIM is addressing exactly this
problem through UML. UML is a common denominator where you can design
and code visually and then generate solutions for different languages
and architectures. I know, it takes a _lot_ of work to make this work
completely automagically, cross-platforms etc, perhaps it never will,
but I think it can help a lot in this process.

/Thomas